Have a glass of milk

Started by WZ JUNK, November 10, 2005, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I have been welding some galvanize this morning.  I try to drink a glass of milk after I weld galvanize metal.  I heard it will keep you from getting sick.  All I know is that I do not get sick when I do this but I really do not know if it is the milk that helps.  Am I alone on this or is this something that you do?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I drink milk regularly anyway. what I do is try to avoid welding galvanized metal. If I have to weld it, I try to do it outside.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"I drink milk regularly anyway. what I do is try to avoid welding galvanized metal. If I have to weld it, I try to do it outside.

This was a MIG job, so I had to do inside the shop.

Have FAT CAT check his PM's or have him call me.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"This was a MIG job, so I had to do inside the shop.

Bad boy, don't do that :x .  We want you to be around a while longer.

c ya soon, Sum

GPster

I have a friend that is a welding instructor and his son is a Union Plumber and Pipefitter that is probably high enough to be certified as a Nucleor Welder. The proper way to do it is to have a fitter with you to clean the weld after you make a pass but his main job is to keep you from doing it to long and to dispence the milk. They look at it not as something they'd rather not do but as part of the job and the precautions are part of that job too. GPster

54stude

Mr Cool

The milk puts a lining on your insides that stops the * from getting to you as much.
Its still no good for you though.
thats why you should drink milk when you inhale something you shouldnt, like when you get a guts full of petrol siphoning a fuel tank the hard way.  :wink:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Cword

I can't imagine the milk doing much for you,  the milk goes down your digestive tract, the fumes went directly to your lungs (respiratory tract).
If the milk went to your lungs to "coat and protect" it'd do more damage than beathing the fumes.

There is a slim chance that elevating some blood component helps manage the damage.  Imagine that the toxins bound easily to calcium for example.  Milk would intorduce more calcium to your system and then your body might be able to handle higher toxin levels.  

mike
--

Cword

Calcium,  it was a lucky guess.  

Digging into this a little further using google I'm coming up with quite a few references to how being calcium deficient makes a body (mouse, rat, human) more susceptable to the effects of toxins.

So drink your milk, eat your broccoli, and if that doesn't appeal use calcium supplements, but well before you expose yourself to toxins.

mike
--

halfdone

Welding Gal gives off sulphur fumes. For some reason that has never been explained to me, milk helps prevent sulphur poisoning.

I have a BAD sulphur alegy. My Doctor has told me before too drink lots of milk if I get exposed to sulphur. I end up curled up in the fetal position, having violent fits.

I am also lactose intolerant.....but the doctor says "drink the milk anyway. Having the runs is beeter than having fits"......good logic I guess  :shock:

My reaction to sulphur is bad enough that I started feeling sick when I drove within 60 miles of Yellowstone and had to take an alternate route.

Sean

Being in the HVAC trade, I have to weld galvinized steel pretty regularly. We have a 'Hose' exhaust system that allows you to suck the fumes right off the joint as you're welding. I have been sick from it before though, and Milk didn't seem to help me.