Starter heat sink problems

Started by rumrumm, October 17, 2005, 10:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

I have a mini-starter in the '32, and it starts fine, but in a simple cruise through town when everything get warmed up, it will not start after being shut off--the starter just clicks when I try to start it again. I took it off and brought it to an auto electric shop. He took it apart and checked it out and said it looked okay and it worked everytime he tested it. Anyone else have this problem? It is about 3 inches from my exhaust pipe. I know I can get a heat shield for it--is one kind better than another as far as the blanket wrap and the aluminum sandwich type?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Charlie Chops 1940

SBC, I assume? If so, do you have a GM mini starter of an aftermarket? The OEM starters seem to be bullet proof and have solved every starter heat soak problem I have had. They are a bit expensive but are really the best. There are clones out there that I have heard are so-so.

I have bought a couple off eBay very reasonable - under $75

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

rumrumm

Oops! Heat soak, not heat sink . . . duh!! Must be the Monday brain f*rts. Anyway, I have one of the aftermarket types. It gave me no problems when I started driving it in July,  and only now it is becoming a problem. Maybe I should simply switch over and be done with it. Anybody want a chrome one that doesn't work? LOL!
Lynn
'32 3W

enjenjo

QuoteAnybody want a chrome one that doesn't work? LOL!

It would work fine on a blown up engine :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Get a Delco mini and solve the problem. I had 3 starters in a year on my car when I first got it out. Put a Delco mini on it and no problems since. 40,000 mi on the car now.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "rumrumm"Oops! Heat soak, not heat sink . . . duh!! Must be the Monday brain f*rts. Anyway, I have one of the aftermarket types. It gave me no problems when I started driving it in July,  and only now it is becoming a problem. Maybe I should simply switch over and be done with it. Anybody want a chrome one that doesn't work? LOL!

I made a simple aluminum shield and later bought a chrome one that goes between the starter and headers.  Simple, cheap and easy and one less thing to worry about.

c ya, Sum

Mikej

I have a mini also. The only time I have any trouble is when I run with the hood side panels. It just turns a little slow with the extra heat. I don't usually run the panels in the summer.

rumrumm

Quote from: "Mikej"I have a mini also. The only time I have any trouble is when I run with the hood side panels. It just turns a little slow with the extra heat. I don't usually run the panels in the summer.

Everything is so cramped under a '32 hood and heat builds up when you have solid hood sides. I ordered a CVR starter today which is supposed to be resistant to heat soak--popular starter to use with headers. It is made in Canada (rather than China like mine) and I have received positive feedback about it. Not cheap, but if it solves the problem, it is worth it. We'll see in a few days.
Lynn
'32 3W

lobucrod

Here's an article I put together and posted on StreetrodStuff a few years back. Might find some usefull info in it.
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Electrical/Hot_Start_Problems/

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteAnybody want a chrome one that doesn't work? LOL!

It would work fine on a blown up engine :lol:

that would probably cause the cruise control to quit working

:wink:  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Only if the VSS was unable to turn.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Only if the VSS was unable to turn.

um .....  VSS don't turn , they are fixed in a semi circular pattern with some osculation
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

I also made a simple aluminum shield to protect my stock style starter that got heat soaked at times.  I bought a Delco mini about the same time but haven't even put it on yet because the shield fixed the problem.
George

btrc

I had that problem on my Ford pickup,  changed 3 starters, a solenoid, positive battery cable.  Then one day I put a jumper cable between the battery and the engine block.  No more problems.  Check your ground cable.  
PS. This was about a year ago and I went right out and bought a new ground cable but I still haven't put it on.  Still have the jumper cable on it.  I tend to be a little slow on maintenance.

Bob
Bob