Lathe Question

Started by sirstude, October 20, 2005, 04:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I am finaly getting back to working on my lathe.  I bought this from a friend and long ago it went through a fire.  It is a Jet 1236PY (or possibly YP) and I am looking for the metal tags that show the gearing etc.  If I could come up with a couple of good pictures that I could turn into fullsize sheets that would be ok also.  Also am looking for a parts supplier (Jet does not suppor this old of a model), need the gear for the thread counter and one of the micrometer rings for the tool post.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I will be putting this on a couple of the boards, so don't be suprised if you see it again.

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

I've never heard of a Jet lathe...

My old lathe is an Enco unit.  No parts around for it, so I muddle through with it as is
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Jet is a tool outfit out of Tacoma specializing in imported tools, generally seem to be a bit better grade than Grizzly, but still not name brand stuff.  Ok for the home shop, but sure not production grade.

Another bit of trivia.  a couple of weeks ago, I was at the local high school and they had one of those Grizzly 3 in 1 Mill/Lathe/drill units for sale.  It had some issues with the mill part, but they only wanted $100 for it so I picked it up.  I seem to be a haven for broken tools.   Anyway it came with all the usual and a full set of Chinese end mills and collets.  Played around with it tonight, and looks like the only thing that was wrong with it was they couldn't figure out how to run the slide clutch to switch between the lathe and mill.  Runs nice an smooth.  I know they are cheap, but probably will turn it anyway.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

entodad

Quote from: "sirstude"Jet is a tool outfit out of Tacoma specializing in imported tools, generally seem to be a bit better grade than Grizzly, but still not name brand stuff.  Ok for the home shop, but sure not production grade.

Another bit of trivia.  a couple of weeks ago, I was at the local high school and they had one of those Grizzly 3 in 1 Mill/Lathe/drill units for sale.  It had some issues with the mill part, but they only wanted $100 for it so I picked it up.  I seem to be a haven for broken tools.   Anyway it came with all the usual and a full set of Chinese end mills and collets.  Played around with it tonight, and looks like the only thing that was wrong with it was they couldn't figure out how to run the slide clutch to switch between the lathe and mill.  Runs nice an smooth.  I know they are cheap, but probably will turn it anyway.

Doug

I bought a 1941 Logan 10" lathe a back in July.  It was a turret model without any tooling etc.  I have been spending a lot of time prowling through E-bay looking for tooling and other parts for it.
So far I have fitted it with a saddle and apron, lead screw spindle gear, change gears, 3 jaw chuck, reverse tumbler etc. etc. etc.
Once I get it totally outfitted, well, I guess I'll have a lathe and can make cool stuff...Actually I have a number of projects that I have wanted to do for years, but lacked the lathe to do them...Can't wait.
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

enjenjo

Enco is still around, but no idea if they service parts for old equipment. most American made lathes were made by 3 or 4 manufacturers, no matter who's name was on it, so parts are mostly available. And the ones that aren't can usually be made by a machinist. I've kept my 1904 Rivette lathe running for more than 20 years, and the only repair part I couldn't get was a tool holder that I broke, I had that made.

My brother has a Jet lathe, and a mill, and is happy with both of them.

Most of my tooling has come from lathes I have bought, with lots of tooling, keep the tooling, and sell the lathe.

A couple years ago, I was at the LA roadster show swap meet, and found a brand new 6" 4 jaw chuck that would fit my lathe, it had a few rust stains, but had never been used. I had to pay $20 for it. :lol:  The hard part was getting it home, I flew in. My luggage had the chuck, a pair of Ford rear brake backing plates, and an AFB carb in it. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Enco is still around, but no idea if they service parts for old equipment. most American made lathes were made by 3 or 4 manufacturers, no matter who's name was on it, so parts are mostly available. And the ones that aren't can usually be made by a machinist.

I need a gear to make my auto feed function. It is a bronze gear.  It is a worm drive gear with the bronze follower setup

Enco was no help, too old of a machine.

A few after market companys folks recomended had nothing. One company appearantly specialized and  bought old stock / supplies of parts for machines.

A custom pair of gears was a bit more expensive than I wanted to spend on this old lathe.

This was done 5 years ago, I gave up and deal with it.  Or use one of the dozen machines at work
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)