Big Olds' Ego-Rama Adventure Day 12; Leno's place +

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, October 04, 2005, 02:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

Day 12 Monday Oct 3
Bakersfield, CA to Ontario, CA
Today's fuel "sponsored" by Roadstar, in loving memory of his great pal "Poncho" who was buried today in Detroit, Michigan

Woke up to another warm, sunny day in California.   We hadn't gotten to our hotel last nite till after dark, so I didn't get a chance to check out the view from our room till this morning.  The mag staff picked out all the hotels and made the reservations.  The participants pay for the rooms themselves.   All the places have been very nice so it's a special treat for me from the usual Motel 6 or Super 8's that I normally stay at on vacation.

After breakfast, TimB hopped in Dad's '56 so mom hopped in Big Olds with me for the almost 2 hour cruz to Jay Leno's Big Dog garage.  We were met at the gate by Bob and got the grand tour of all 4 buildings which total 57,000 square feet.  He has 89 autos and 89 bikes kept here.  They are preparing for an additional 12,200+ square feet in a new building.

Bob runs the place and knew about each and every car there.  I was amazed that one person had so much knowledge about such a variety of cars and bikes.  We stopped at each car and he told us alittle about it.  We were allowed to take photos but asked not to post them on the internet.  During the calendar stuffing party, or whenever, I'll do a slide show of the almost 200 photos I took inside.

The walls were covered with memoriblia, including HUGE copies of auto related artwork that Jay found in magazines and then took those pictures to the NBC art department and had them copy them to his size specifications.  I sure wish I could post the photos for you guys.  It's really tough for me not to.

Here is a photo of some of us right before we took off from Jay's place for lunch at Chilis

Actually we were standing around watching Rich tighten up a couple of nuts and bolts that had come loose on his exhaust.

After lunch we headed over to the Justice Brothers Museum and got a private guided tour by 84 year old Ed Justice.  What a character he is.  Had lots of stories and gossip about folks and was happy to share the details.

This was the first thing I saw when I walked through the door.  I thought to myself, holy smokes, this place is going to be amazing as well.  Two great car collections within miles of each other.

As well as a HUGE collection of sprint and midget cars, the walls were covered with memorabilia

An ice bike

He even fired this bad boy up for us.  The smile on his face when he did it was priceless.  I think he enjoyed it more then us.

Ed then took us to a second building to show us not only more sprint and midget cars but some very cool street cars too.

Even a lineup of cool engines

We then said our goodbyes and thanks to Ed and headed to the hotel via 3 freeways...AT RUSH HOUR!  

If your interested in viewing more sprints and midgets, I place lots more on PhotoBucket
http://photobucket.com/albums/y1/MotorCityHotRodder/Ego-Rama%20Adventure/Day%2012b/

All  in all a most AWESOME day.  Seems each day keeps getting better then the last.  Tomorrow is a day of ΒΌ acceleration tests, slaloms and braking.  Stay tuned tomorrow for those exciting photos and keep your fingers crossed no ne heads for the guardrail.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Uncle Bob

Thanks for the daily updates Denise.  What an adventure you're enjoying!!
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Normspeed

Great posts, it's the next best thing to riding along. Justice Bros is a couple miles from me. They always make folks feel more than welcome.  The weather report says Santa Ana winds, so it ought to be breezy, warm and dry for the next couple of days. Great cruisin' weather.
Norm

kb426

TEAM SMART

34ford

Great job Denise. Definitely more than we will ever see in print in the magazine :D

bob

Crosley.In.AZ

kool stuff as usual.

i do not understand the request from Leno's place about the NOT posting photos on the net.  His shop has been featured in sooo many TV shows.  The shop location is known also
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Crosley"kool stuff as usual.

i do not understand the request from Leno's place about the NOT posting photos on the net.  His shop has been featured in sooo many TV shows.  The shop location is known also

The garage part I have seen on TV many times, but the other buildings with all the other cars, bikes, artwork, etc, I haven't.  Not saying that they haven't been on tv but I've never seen a faction of his cars till yesterday....... we just have to abide by their wishes.

TJ's Dad

Denise .. your efforts are greatly appreciated , cant wait each day for the 'daily fix'.

Your trip is the most interesting thread i've ever read , being from Oz it's showing us not only a bunch of cool cars but plenty of your country as well.

Being on dial up out in the country , i call you up .. go out and do a bit of work ( ban the rest of the family from touching the computer) then come back n look .

I agree with others it is better than any mag could possibily do ...... thanks again.

Like Sands thru the Hourglass ........ I'll check the next episode tomorrow !!

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Crosley.In.AZ

I forgot to ask , does Jay Leno have any Crosleys in his collection?
Tony

HotRodLadyCrusr

Tony, no I do not remember seeing any but did you see the Crosley with the midget car on the top luggage rack that I posted from the Justice Brothers Museum??  I took it and posted it just for you. :wink:

Ohio Blue Tip

Glad your back. :D   Sure enjoyed your travel postings, just wanted to say THANKS.
Also I enjoyed my time with Rudy while you were gone. :twisted:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"I enjoyed my time with Rudy while you were gone. :twisted:

Seems like that Rudy fellow really got around for three weeks. :lol:
He's been sticking pretty close to "home" lately....I think he might have missed me :wink:

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Crosley"kool stuff as usual.

Leno has many reproductions done by TV and Movie studio art departments. These copies are done either by obtaining licensing arrangements with the original owners, or receiving written permission to copy them. The copies are made for his personal use and are done legally and solely for his business and enjoyment. The agreements also stipulate that he will not forward, trade, sell or place in print or video media any images of the ones he has, without express written permission from the owners.

Anything from his garage or warehouse that is shown on television, that is not orginally owned by him or his company, is referred to in the credits following the show, or shown with the disclaimer  "Used with permission. Any unauthorized copies made from these images without consent of the owner will violate U.S. copyright laws, and is strictly prohibited." (or something similar)

Anything posted on the internet is considered free reign, unless a picture or story has been copyrighted, and the copyright claim has to be posted on the same page as the image or text. Using an image as a background or saving it to send via email to someone is okay, provided that text or image is not used in any way to promote buying, selling or trading for profit on someone elses site. That's why alot of sites have become members only download sites; to protect their material. It gives them a way to at least make a little money from the use of that picture or story by someone else.

If Joe Schmo from Backwoods, Oklahoma saw a picture that Denise posted from Leno's business, and that picture showed something in the background that Leno had permission to copy, and Joe Schmo went out and reproduced the image on his own and started selling them, Leno would probably be asked to keep all cameras out of his shops, and would probably lose any further business with the owners of the originals.

He's only protecting his own interests by not wanting pictures for the internet taken. There's no way of telling if the pictures would all be used in a legal and friendly manner once they hit the `net.

My sister is a civics and American history teacher at an Advanced Learning High School here in Florida, and she teaches this legal issue stuff on a daily basis. I ran this topic by her, and that was her general consensus. She stated California law may be different, but copyrighted material is governed by federal law, and this includes pictures on the internet as well, if so stated.

MNIU.SETO...
`R'
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

HotRodLadyCrusr

Bryan, thanks for explaining

I will be purchasing a laptop here real soon and will upload Leno's photos on it....all 200+ of them, plus all the other ones I've taken over the years AND I'll bring the laptop to shows and events the RRT members attend in the future so that if someone is interested in viewing them and discussing the cars we can.  

Beer, cookies and a slideshow.....does it get much better then that??? :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Tony, no I do not remember seeing any but did you see the Crosley with the midget car on the top luggage rack that I posted from the Justice Brothers Museum??  I took it and posted it just for you. :wink:

yes, I saw the photo of the Crosley , thanks.

I neeed to write some letters to Jay explaining his need for a Crosley or 5

:!:  :idea:
Tony