International 3 ton tranny shifter

Started by 2rods, October 08, 2005, 11:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

A friend of mine has a 3T IHI with 4spd trans. The shifter swivels around making it real hard to shift gears. Took the shifter out  and there appears to be something missing that holds the shifter straight. Does anyone know what I am looking for and where would I get the needed part. It is a 65 or 66 1600 Transtar I think. Thanks for the help.

enjenjo

Spicer trans? there should be a pin with a round head in a hole on the side of the shift tower. Don't remember if it's held in place by the shift lever retainer, or threaded with a nut.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

2rods

There is a small slot in the tower and a long slot in the shifter ball. The piece that keeps the shifter handle in position is gone. Would the piece I need be available somewhere? Thanks.

enjenjo

Yes, it should be available. A truck parts supplier should have it, that was a popular transmission. You will need the trans code, it should be on the glove box door, on a tag. The question is, what happened to the old one?

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes, it should be available. A truck parts supplier should have it, that was a popular transmission. You will need the trans code, it should be on the glove box door, on a tag. The question is, what happened to the old one?

Frank, I'm surprised....you don't know the part number???? must be gettin' old.... :D

moparrodder

Quote from: "2rods"A friend of mine has a 3T IHI with 4spd trans. The shifter swivels around making it real hard to shift gears. Took the shifter out  and there appears to be something missing that holds the shifter straight. Does anyone know what I am looking for and where would I get the needed part. It is a 65 or 66 1600 Transtar I think. Thanks for the help.

Are you sure it's a Transtar?  My dad had internationals for 50 years, K models, L models, loadstars 1600 through 1800 models R 190's and finally 4070 transtars.  3 ton Transtar conventionals were used in the heavy construction areas like cement mixers and heavy tractors for pulling multi axel lowboys carring super heavy loads at slower speeds. Frank is right, you need the trans number and may be on the inside of the glove box door, but international did some weird things when putting trucks together at the factory, like using different trannys and rear axels ,suspensions for the same model trucks,example the same tranny may have several different internals like different ratios and combinations for each gear, fork rails and such. A line setting sheet is what you need to correctly identify the tranny you have and part you need.  If you're lucky it may still be in the glove box with the papers that came with the truck, it's like a build sheet of the truck and can list several numbers for the same part of the truck.  Dad went through this with his trucks often when needing repairs for his trucks through the years.  A Navastar International Truck dealer may be able to help you , have the serial number of the truck,engine, trans and rear end numbers with you when going for parts and any GOOD Navastar International dealer should take the time to help you get the right part you need.  Hope this helps.   Bill

enjenjo

Moparrodder is correct, it should be a Loadstar. It may have had a Transtar hood installed on it. It will fit depending on the model. In that era the line ticket was usually glued to the inside of the glove box door, but being only paper it may be missing. The serial number tag on a Spicer trans is usually on the right side, near the rear. But it may have a Clark or New Process, or other trans too. Spicer 4xxx series was the most common.

2rods

Now that you guys mention it I think it is a Loadstar. problem is it is 1000 miles from me and I can't look at it. Is there any pics of the transmission blown up to see the part? Thinking it may be a ring with a tit inside it to engage into shifter handle ball? I'll have to call my friend and try to get some more info. Thanks for all the help guys.