Cure for 20:20 hindsight?

Started by Pope Downunder, October 04, 2005, 05:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Downunder

Thought you guys and gals might get a grin outa my drama, even if I didn't.

I was fixing a minor leak in the valve cover on my P/Up on the weekend.  Anyway, there was oil about, so I decided to wash just around the affected area first.  I'm outa degreaser, so I reached for the 'POR Marine Clean'.  I attempted to 'read' the fine print in the gloom of the shed, and so I mixed it 1.5:1 and had at it.  I splashed it around and worked it with a brush, then applied it too the hood-side and fender.  About then, I realised that the paint was dissolving on the motor!

I reached for the hose and blasted the hood-side and fender, then the motor.  To my dismay, the area affected had changed colour; and in placed whole coats of pait had dissappeared in seconds.  Luckily it had no affect on the two-pack on the bodywork.  It attacked the aluminium fiercely, and dulled the 'Jet-Hot' coated exhaust instantly.

Interestingly, at this concentration, it also dissolved the bristles on the paint brush to a 'floppy' consistency, like wet human hair.

So, now I've got a two-tone engine, and no oil leak.  I guess next time it leaks, I'll just let it leak, and that will hide the blotched paint!

The aluminium and Jet-Hot actually polished up fine.  I may be able to touch up the motor with a brush, but right now, I am not in the mood to touch it.  

BTW; when I got my 20:20 glasses on, I found this stuff should be diluted about 15:1 not 1.5:1 as I thought I read.  Another lesson learned!

Crosley.In.AZ

Wow.... strong stuff , eh?

Lucky (?) for me I must wear my glasses to see nearly anything clearly.  Without them I might   degrease the dog.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Crosley"

I might   degrease the dog.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

wchappo

Popey(or should it start with a "D'), lucky you weren't mixing the Bourbans, :lol: Wayne

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "wchappo"Popey(or should it start with a "D'), lucky you weren't mixing the Bourbans, :lol: Wayne

Ha ha ha; glad I don't do them that strong anymore!

Maybe I would have been better off having a drink rather than touching it in the first place.