Rewire the car

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 09, 2005, 12:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am moving along on my 62 Falcon project.  I've got a turbo and related hardware ( boost controller, waste gate)  lined up.

I've decided I need to rewire the car instead of adding on a fuse block to the OE wires.  the old 2 fuse system on the Falcon ain't gonna cut it IMHO.

EZ-wire seems to be a good deal.  they list a 21 mini cicuit setup on thier web site for $130.00.

Of course most wire harnesses are directed at GM cars & parts, but that will not be a problem

Comments?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Well, I've used Ezwire, never had many problems. They had some issues with bad crimps, they seemed to have fixed it for a while, but I hear the problems are back. they are also made off shore.  I have been using Kwikwire harnesses lately, they are made in the US, and only a few dollars more than Ezwire.  http://www.kwikwire.com/
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

that is the info I wanted.

I know we have discussed the wire harnesses before.  I picked the lower cost unit to run past the folks here for comment.

It did not make any sense to add a fuse block on to the poor design OE Ford harness.  

I do not want to be making a low 16 second pass at the drag strip and have an electrical failure shut the car down while under hard power.

:shock:
Tony

phat46

I do not want to be making a low 16 second pass at the drag strip and have an electrical failure shut the car down while under hard power.[/b]

:shock:[/quote]

or just think what would happen at highway speeds!!!!!   :shock:  :D  :D

Jbird

I did a 16 second quarter once. In fact it was in moms 86 4 cylinder, automatic, Cavalier on the way to church just this morning. Tony, does it bother you that the other lane has a Mc Donalds drive thru, half way down the track.
 Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Skip

You get what you pay for.  E-Z Wire's quality is about as poor as it gets.  Here's a shot of one right out of the box.  The other pic of the black-wired rats nest is the E-Z Wire kit that this new-in-the-box kit was sent to replace.  

For the rest of the story, see the similar thread on the H.A.M.B.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Skip

Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks skip,

I read the HAMB thread.  The pre-terminaled fuse blocks are better than the clamp type?

You are writing a  new updated wire  book?
Tony

rumrumm

Personally,  I liked the Centech kit I used to wire the '32.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Crosley.In.AZ

I used a painless on a 48 chev truck, worked well.  

I used a differnet wire kit on 57 chevy truck years ago... I don't remember the brand of it.  I do rmeember the painless was a better setup.

I am gonna do some internet shopping on the brands mentioned. The turbo motor may be ready in a month .  TIme to spend some money

:twisted:
Tony

Dirk35

I used Haywire. Got it from Elpolacklo on the HAMB. Real happy with it. Guys here answered most every question I had and I only had to call the Haywire guy once for a plug that they forgot to include.

flamefink

Quote from: "Dirk35"I used Haywire. Got it from Elpolacklo on the HAMB. Real happy with it. Guys here answered most every question I had and I only had to call the Haywire guy once for a plug that they forgot to include.

Just wanted to chime in real quick here. We put a haywire in my Model A and were extremely pleased with it. We also put a Ron Francis kit in a 50 Ford. It required a little more work routing the wires with the way they come out of the panel, but over all a nice kit.

Just recently started shopping for a harness for the 4-door and decided on the new American Auto Wire system. It's an excellent panel with a lot of little conveniences incorporated to make installation a lot easier. I'm impressed with the idea of virtually no crimping needed.

I'm not biased to any one panel, they all are good panels in their own right. They all have their pluses and minuses. All I can say is to check out as many of them as you can before making a decision. You're bound to find one that sticks out among the others as the best path for yourself.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?