high stall speed torque convertor information needed

Started by WZ JUNK, March 15, 2004, 09:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

My little drag car is now a dud off the line.   I had the transmission built last week and it shifts fine but the shop replaced the torque convertor that was in the car with one they selected that had a "high stall speed".  I went back to the shop this morning and they are going to try to locate my old convertor and have it rebuilt.  I never got to drive the car with the transmission working correctly and with the old torque convertor but the couple of times I did launch it, even with a slipping transmission, I got a pretty good hole shot.  Now the "buzzing half dozen"/"leaning tower of power" Dodge Dart is a real dud.   I checked on a built racing torque convertor and it will cost me $600.00.   I can not put that much money into the car.  Do any of you know of a factory alternative for the 904 transmission that will help me get a higher stall speed?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Jimc

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"My little drag car is now a dud off the line.   I had the transmission built last week and it shifts fine but the shop replaced the torque convertor that was in the car with one they selected that had a "high stall speed".  I went back to the shop this morning and they are going to try to locate my old convertor and have it rebuilt.  I never got to drive the car with the transmission working correctly and with the old torque convertor but the couple of times I did launch it, even with a slipping transmission, I got a pretty good hole shot.  Now the "buzzing half dozen"/"leaning tower of power" Dodge Dart is a real dud.   I checked on a built racing torque convertor and it will cost me $600.00.   I can not put that much money into the car.  Do any of you know of a factory alternative for the 904 transmission that will help me get a higher stall speed?

John, I bought the transmission in the 62 from Greg Cantrell in Galena,Ks.
With it, I also bought a TCI 2800 stall converter.
I think Greg charged me $250.00 or so for mine.
I don't race the 62, so I do not know why I have a stall converter.

Jim Goucher get all his transmission work done with Greg.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum