honeycomb Radiator

Started by mrloboy, March 15, 2004, 09:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I am replacing the radiator in a 1928 REO Speedwagon we are building. The original rad is a honeycomb design. We will be replacing it with an aluminum unit to cool the '99 Firebird LS1 engine. We would like to retain the "look" of the honeycomb. Does anyone make an insert or ? that will give the REO its original appeal. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. rj

Bruce Dorsi

I don't know if you are familiar with the "Heat Sponge" radiators made by the Brassworks.

Pictures and info at:

http://www.thebrassworks.net/brassworks_heat_sponge.htm

Their site says the '32 radiator is no longer in production, but they may be doing custom work.

If you're really ambitious, you could make one out of aluminum.

Someone on the HAMB (Smokey?) was building one out of brass or copper tubing, and weight was going to be considerable.

Putting a perforated screen in front of a radiator may limit or disrupt the air flow through the radiator, but you already knew that!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

purplepickup

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but McMaster Carr has honeycomb material made from aluminum in different thicknesses(1/4" - 1"), 1/2" or 1" cell size, up to 24 X 48" size.  If you don't have a catalog their website is http://www.mcmaster.com/ .  Do a search for honeycomb.
George

mrloboy

Thanks Bruce!

I was not aware of the Brassworks Heat Sponge radiator. I logged on and sent an inquiry as to custom fabrication. I am concerned to their products integrity if they are failing to offer it as an open comodity. By the pictures on the site, it sure looks like what I need!

As far as fabricating one, I think the cost would be prohibative. The customer would kill me if I billed him for that many hours! :) Hand building one would be an option for one's own vehicle, but cost effectiveness would diminish on a customer's vehicle!

You are totally correct regarding the loss in airflow utilizing the perforated screen. I only thought that at a last resort, one could try it and if successful, we could use the visual advantages and if heating was a problem, it would be removeable to regain the required airflow. rj