Duece tank on a Model A

Started by flamefink, March 22, 2004, 11:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamefink

Sorry to be repetitive, I know I asked this on The HAMB already but I didn't get any technical help.

Has anyone out there ever put a Duece tank on a Model A? I'm going put one on my 31 Tudor wich is on "Just A Hobby" aftermarket frame rails. I'm wondering if theres anything I should know or be aware of before starting this project.

I've looked at the kits offered for this conversion and they seem pretty simple, but a little over my budget right now. Trying to stay on budget, I'm going to be fabricating my own frame horns to the dimesions of the stock 32 rails (measured off of my dad's car) and using a steel "Tanks" 32 gas tank that I've already bought.

Any info is appreciated...

Thanks,
Brett
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

WZ JUNK

I have a friend that I will see in the morning that has done this to his Model A but his is on a 32 Frame.  I will ask him for more details.  I know that he had to Z the frame horns to make it work.  I think it is a good idea as you need to get rid of the cowl tank for more room inside the car and under the dash especially if you plan on air conditioning.  If you move the tank to the trunk, you lose a lot of trunk space.  I will see what I can find out for you.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

It should be fairly straight forward. The bulk of the rail extensions under the car can be made from box tubing, with the rest of it fabricated from plate. I would prop the tank into position, and go from there. Cut up boxes to get a template, and duplicate in steel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Tanks makes a kit to do a model a..
Dave

Charlie Chops 1940

I think you are already on the right track and you have a '32 handy as reference...ya can't ask for much more than that. Every adaptation of this nature is gonna be a bit different. I don't know anyone who has done it...just think ya need to jump in there and do it. Be willing to change direction if necessary, take pictures and show us afterwards how easy it was to do and how crafty your solution was.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

flamefink

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I had a friend of mine bend up a couple 25" long 'C' channel sections with the correct taper on them at the fab shop he works at. These work perfect as the rail sections and just need to be trimmed to fit and all holes drilled. I'm also going to use part of enjenjo's idea and build a cross member from tubing to connect the rail sections and attach to the actual rails. I'll post pics of  the project as I get the pics developed; I'm still a primitive photographer... Hope to go digital soon

Thanks again everyone, :b-d:
Brett
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

WZ JUNK

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I visited with my friend about the way he did his with the 32 frame and everything he told me was already mentioned here.  I did look up the frame dimensions and I noted that at the rear axle centerline, there is not a lot of difference in the Model A and the 32 frame widths.  Good luck.  Let us know how it comes out.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH