disc brakes for a 9" rear

Started by buffalo bob, September 19, 2005, 09:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffalo bob

Oddy enough I have a 9" truck rear (big bearing) under my '54 F-100 with drum brakes redrilled to 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern and it doesn't stop as well as I'd like (drums worn out, shoes shot etc.).  Wondering if there is a modestly priced (cheap) way to adapt disc/emergency brake to the rear?  I see alot of Exploders er Explorers with disc brakes on the back and thought about just swapping the entire rear.  I haven't spent much time looking at this new stuff (90's & up) so I'm not really aware of what is available.

paul2748

What do you have for front brakes - disc's?  If not, I would try that route first and get new shoes and drums for the rear.  Remember, the front brakes take most of the load when stopping.  There are a couple of suppliers selling kits to put disc's on 9 inchers, but I can't think of one right now.  Look in the Hot Rod books or truck magazines for suppliers.

Quote from: "buffalo bob"Oddy enough I have a 9" truck rear (big bearing) under my '54 F-100 with drum brakes redrilled to 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern and it doesn't stop as well as I'd like (drums worn out, shoes shot etc.).  Wondering if there is a modestly priced (cheap) way to adapt disc/emergency brake to the rear?  I see alot of Exploders er Explorers with disc brakes on the back and thought about just swapping the entire rear.  I haven't spent much time looking at this new stuff (90's & up) so I'm not really aware of what is available.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "buffalo bob"Oddy enough I have a 9" truck rear (big bearing) under my '54 F-100 with drum brakes redrilled to 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern and it doesn't stop as well as I'd like (drums worn out, shoes shot etc.).  Wondering if there is a modestly priced (cheap) way to adapt disc/emergency brake to the rear?  I see alot of Exploders er Explorers with disc brakes on the back and thought about just swapping the entire rear.  I haven't spent much time looking at this new stuff (90's & up) so I'm not really aware of what is available.

I have the Lincoln rear under my 54 Chevy car with the disc brakes and I think I am going to switch it out to an Explorer.  Although I have new shoes and calipers on the Lincoln, I have found out that replacement parts are not easy to obtain.   Since this is to be a road car, I need to be able to get parts.  I might switch out the caliper and rotor assembly if there is an easy fix.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Ford explorer SVO all the way. A nice kit and I can give you some tips on installing the kit. Speedway had the cheapest price on the kit this spring when I got mine They want you to remove the bearing (ruins em)to add spacers but you can do it another way........
Dave

buffalo bob

Will the Explorer parts like bolt to a 9" housing (unlikely I'd say) or is a kit of sorts involved?  I was figuring on having to swap the entire rear end.  The truck is a daily driver, so I'm inclined to use part available at the local parts store, NAPA etc.  BTW the truck has M-2 IFS w/11" disc, one of those mid '80 Vette M/C with a Chevette power brake booster, proportioning valve, residual valves and stops ok.

Dave

Quote from: "buffalo bob"Will the Explorer parts like bolt to a 9" housing (unlikely I'd say) or is a kit of sorts involved?  I was figuring on having to swap the entire rear end.  The truck is a daily driver, so I'm inclined to use part available at the local parts store, NAPA etc.  BTW the truck has M-2 IFS w/11" disc, one of those mid '80 Vette M/C with a Chevette power brake booster, proportioning valve, residual valves and stops ok.

It bolts right up. Check speedwaymotors.com for the sizes of bearings and flanges that it will bolt to. I believe mine was the newer style big bearing model. and it worked fine except for them wanting you to remove the bearings for the spacer rings but the spacers can be cut and installed without having to remove the bearings and they will work fine. I can look for the instructions fo my kit and scan them and email em to you if you like
Dave