Metal Gas Tank Leak, Best repair help!

Started by rooster, September 14, 2005, 02:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Son has a small hole in bottem of tank on his s10, we have the tank out now. Whats the best way to go about fixing this. The area of the tank where it is leaking is rusted some on the outside, dont know about the inside yet.

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

rooster

Quote from: "jaybee"How big is the hole?

I cant even see it! I can see a wet spot wher its coming from though!

Dave

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "jaybee"How big is the hole?

I cant even see it! I can see a wet spot wher its coming from though!

If you have a good radiator shop around call them. They used to do it around here
Dave

Okiedokie

I once used some of the stuff that parts houses carry that is in a clear plastic container about like a roll of pennies. It is two parts you knead [?]together. It was there for at least three years with no further leakage. Was a leak like yours, couldn't really see a hole, just gas leaking. Joe

phat rat

JB weld also works great for this. Years ago my son dropped his car down on a jack stand and punched a 3 corner tear in his gas tank, I  hammered and pulled it into place put JB Weld on it and it lasted for I don't know how long. He had the car another 2 years sold it and saw it all the time on the road.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

river1

there is prolly more rust you can't see. i'd follow N8DC's advise and take it to a rad shop. they can boil it out and patch the holes and make it good as new.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

rooster