Descision on New Carb

Started by Michael_Ward421, September 12, 2005, 10:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Ward421

I was wondering what would be the best for my 63 chevy in the way of a carb for a 327 engine.  Right now its got a 4 barrel quadrajet on it and the thing leaks a little.  I would rather replace the thing if I could i was just wondering if anyone knew of an awsome replacement.  I was told to go with an Edelbrock or a holley but I don't know?

jaybee

Quote from: "Michael_Ward421"I was wondering what would be the best for my 63 chevy in the way of a carb for a 327 engine.  Right now its got a 4 barrel quadrajet on it and the thing leaks a little.  I would rather replace the thing if I could i was just wondering if anyone knew of an awsome replacement.  I was told to go with an Edelbrock or a holley but I don't know?

Edelbrock or Holley are both good.  Edelbrock seems to be a little easier to tune and less troublesome.  Something in the 600-650cfm range would be about perfect for your 327 unless it's built to really wind out.  Avoid the Holley Double Pumpers, you won't get any gas mileage.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

reborn55

How or where is it leaking.  Personally I would rebuild it first and see what happens.  You have the best of both worlds(in my opinion) small venturis for economy and the large secondaries for performance.  Just my .02

Dirk35

How ambitious are you?

If you like to play with it and mess with stuff over and over, then rebuilding your Quadrajunk is the way to go as it will be much cheaper than new.

If you prefer plug-and-play (bolt and go) then the Edlebrock with electric choke is the way to go! I have never been happier with any carb than the eldebrock's straight out of the box, for relaibility and not needing any tuning.

IF you want more power, with less relaibility, get the holley.

This has been my experience and is only my opnion.

Dave

Quote from: "Michael_Ward421"I was wondering what would be the best for my 63 chevy in the way of a carb for a 327 engine.  Right now its got a 4 barrel quadrajet on it and the thing leaks a little.  I would rather replace the thing if I could i was just wondering if anyone knew of an awsome replacement.  I was told to go with an Edelbrock or a holley but I don't know?

Where does it leak from? If it can be fixed id fix it. They are goos carbs and as per the other post a good milage carb. Ive had 2 edelbrocks that worked fine but  the one on my 32 sucks. mileage is good but is idles like crap and stumbles going around corners. I quit taking apart to try and fix it. If I could get a real nice q jet for a real nice price id run one. I had one on my 30 a that rocked till the trottle shaft wore out. I got it used so no biggie (free Too)
that thing screamed when you got into the secondaries. The only car Ive ever had that at 75 you kicked it and it downshifted and went like a bat out of hell.
Dave

Mikej

Quote from: "jaybee"

Edelbrock or Holley are both good.  Edelbrock seems to be a little easier to tune and less troublesome.  Something in the 600-650cfm range would be about perfect for your 327 unless it's built to really wind out.  Avoid the Holley Double Pumpers, you won't get any gas mileage.

Seems like 95% of the carb tuning problem, on the forums, are about edelbrock.  I switched to a Holley with vac secondaries. I'm much happier with the performance, the mileage and tuning.

Jokester

I liked the Edelbrock for being easy to tune.  But I had several in a row that would stumble and die if I stood on the brakes too hard.  The last two I built use 600  Holley straight out of the box.  I'm very satisfied with both of them.  I agree on using electric choke.  Simple and functional.

My 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Mikej"
Quote from: "jaybee"

Seems like 95% of the carb tuning problem, on the forums, are about edelbrock.  I switched to a Holley with vac secondaries. I'm much happier with the performance, the mileage and tuning.

I have never ran any other aftermarket carb than Holley.
I have had good luck with then.

like anything else, if you use and abuse it, you gonna
have to fix it eventually  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Sean

I would stick with the Qjet. Rebuilt and properly tuned, they are great, and as mentioned earlier, I always seemed to get better mileage with them.

Michael_Ward421

Quote from: "Sean"I would stick with the Qjet. Rebuilt and properly tuned, they are great, and as mentioned earlier, I always seemed to get better mileage with them.

Well I just rebuilt the thing and man does that truck have some power.  I think that the quadrajet will work for the meantime.  Thanks for all the help Yall

Dave

Quote from: "Michael_Ward421"
Quote from: "Sean"I would stick with the Qjet. Rebuilt and properly tuned, they are great, and as mentioned earlier, I always seemed to get better mileage with them.

Well I just rebuilt the thing and man does that truck have some power.  I think that the quadrajet will work for the meantime.  Thanks for all the help Yall

Ok if its a rebuilt and no leats ill give ya 25 bucks for it :?:  :?:  :?:
Dave :arrow: ill pay shipping to :lol:

tomslik

Quote from: "Jokester"I liked the Edelbrock for being easy to tune.  But I had several in a row that would stumble and die if I stood on the brakes too hard.  The last two I built use 600  Holley straight out of the box.  I'm very satisfied with both of them.  I agree on using electric choke.  Simple and functional.

My 2 cents.

.bjb

jokester, what'd ya do to fix 'em?
a good hard turn and my coupe would die(same with braking)..
played with float levels and all kinds of stuff,no help.

i think it's gonna go on ebay (eventually)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list