Retard the timing and cool the exhaust?......

Started by slocrow, September 13, 2005, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Denise wrote, "He had to retard the timing from 16* to 9.5* which lowered my exhaust temp from over 500 degrees to 405."

I'm not getting this move. I always thought that as you retard the timing you cause the combustion cycle to be closer to the exhaust valve opening. Sometimes even being so retarded that the headers turn cherry red.
I didn't think advancing the timing (within reason) caused additional exhaust heat but would possibly cause the engine to actually run cooler.
What's the deal er thoughts about this?.......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat46

I always understood that either too much or too little will turn the exhaust red. I have seen red headers from to much advance.

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Denise wrote, "He had to retard the timing from 16* to 9.5* which lowered my exhaust temp from over 500 degrees to 405."

I'm not getting this move. I always thought that as you retard the timing you cause the combustion cycle to be closer to the exhaust valve opening. Sometimes even being so retarded that the headers turn cherry red.
I didn't think advancing the timing (within reason) caused additional exhaust heat but would possibly cause the engine to actually run cooler.

I guess thaT WOULD BE INITIAL TIMING. OOps caps lock. I like to time mine at about 2000 rpm by a balancer thats degreed or a balancer cover thats degreed which i have or a timing tape. I set mine about 28 degrees if i remember right and it starts fine and runs cool.
my Nickle
Dave

DrJ

Quote from: "slocrow"...
Yeabut, 16ยบ isn't within reason...

'Course, it all depends on the rest of the dizzy's curve.