new stamps

Started by river1, August 30, 2005, 02:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Post office issuing set of sporty car stamps

Associated Press
Aug. 20, 2005

WASHINGTON - Once proclaimed a work of art by the Museum of Modern Art, the 1953 Studebaker Starliner is just a fond memory today. But it's a memory about to be refreshed, as the Postal Service issues a set of five stamps recalling sporty cars of the 1950s.

Low-slung, long and wide, the Starliner was the only American car included in a 1953 exhibit of automobiles at the museum.

It makes a return engagement Saturday with the ceremonial release of the new 37-cent stamps in Detroit. They will be available nationwide on Monday.

"These cars are a perfect reminder of the 1950s and America's optimism that the nation's future was looking bright," Patrick Donahoe, deputy postmaster general, said in prepared remarks.

In addition to the Starliner the stamps feature:

- 1953 Chevrolet Corvette, a fiberglass-bodied two-seater. Just 300 hand-built, white, with red interior and black convertible-top models were produced in 1953.

- 1954 Kaiser Darrin, featuring retractable doors that slid forward into the front fenders, long sloping lines and a three-position Landau top. Only 435 Kaiser Darrins were produced.

- 1952 Nash-Healey, with an American engine, British chassis and body from Italy. With only 150 made, it priced itself out of the market.

- 1955 Ford Thunderbird, touted as a "sports car with luxury." The Thunderbird featured a steel body, interchangeable hard and soft tops, an overhead valve V-8 engine and a host of luxury options.
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

When you mentioned stamps I thought you found a box to put that carb in and were going to send it first class. That carb is for a '53 Chevrolet 235 six but I believe the Corvettes had a pair of S. U.s on the sixes in them. That Studebaker doesn't look quite right. Weren't the roofs lower? GPster

river1

yea thought that might get your attention.  :D

the carb will go out wed or thur depending on when i can get to the PO.

later jim

1FATGMC

I got a letter today from Hooley, the 219 mph mailman.  Guess which stamp was on it  :roll:?

c ya, Sum

river1

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I got a letter today from Hooley, the 219 mph mailman.  Guess which stamp was on it  :roll:?

c ya, Sum

i'm thinkin the tbird?

:ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)

man he got them before they are on the market.

later jim