TH700R4 rebuild.

Started by Gilles, August 29, 2005, 03:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles

As I had rebuilt with success my own TH700R4 a friend of mine asked me to rebuild one for him. It's a 85 TH700 from a Corvette that will go on a 32 Brookville roadster project. I ordered a Transtar rebuild kit and a Transgo kit. The transmission is now in pieces in my garage. I follow the procedures of an ATSG  manual (like I did before). I found that the band is worn, making the housing where it apply damaged a little by the rivets. So this part needs to be replaced.
I checked the planetary gear set pinion end play. One pinion play is a little more than  the .024" maximum authorized by the book. I think the planetarys gear sets need to be replaced too.
At this time I didn't take appart the pump so I don't know his condition. Maybe it can be replaced by a new one with the improved design? Or the original suffisant? The engine behind this transmission will be the stock 350 TPI.
Any advice would be appreciated.

:D Gilles :D

Crosley.In.AZ

1..... IF this transmission is from a corvette , it will NOT have a bolt on area for the tranny mount on the main transmission case.

2.... RE:pump, original design pumps work well. 7 vanes are OK... 10 vane upgrade IF you desire.... not needed in light duty use

3.....RE: planetary unit , use it , run it , it's OK if the side washers are there and NO wear into the main planetary casting.

4.... usually the transmission is behind the engine in the USA.  :lol:

5...RE: drum where the band applies.  VERY important that this area is flat for band to properly apply/hold the drum

Quote from: "Gilles"As I had rebuilt with success my own TH700R4 a friend of mine asked me to rebuild one for him. It's a 85 TH700 from a Corvette that will go on a 32 Brookville roadster project. I ordered a Transtar rebuild kit and a Transgo kit. The transmission is now in pieces in my garage. I follow the procedures of an ATSG  manual (like I did before). I found that the band is worn, making the housing where it apply damaged a little by the rivets. So this part needs to be replaced.
I checked the planetary gear set pinion end play. One pinion play is a little more than  the .024" maximum authorized by the book. I think the planetarys gear sets need to be replaced too.
At this time I didn't take appart the pump so I don't know his condition. Maybe it can be replaced by a new one with the improved design? Or the original suffisant? The engine behind this transmission will be the stock 350 TPI.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Gilles

Thanks Tony for your advice. It means I can replace only the big drum and keep the pump and planetarys gerar sets.

Quote4.... usually the transmission is behind the engine in the USA.  

Sure I need to improve my English. I will start another English course in september, 4 hours a week until december, 50 hours in total. This way I will be able to discuss more easily in this board! I was in England last week, the practise is harder than to write or read!

Crosley.In.AZ

I work with many non english speaking co-workers 5 days a week.  

The difference here is you WANT to  learn to communicate better in English.  The Mexican nationals do not want to learn
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I work with many non english speaking co-workers 5 days a week.  

The difference here is you WANT to  learn to communicate better in English.  The Mexican nationals do not want to learn

plus, they want to make US speek their language.

i know cervesa and taco and that's about all i need to know....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list