700r4 fluid

Started by Santa Fe Bri, August 19, 2005, 08:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe Bri

Please can anyone inform of which is the best trans fluid for the 700r4 gearbox & the amount it takes, I have a outside trans filter installed.      Crosley if you read this I got my triple Roaches set up to the TV cable sorted thanks again for your help............Brian

slocrow

Quote from: "Santa Fe Bri"Please can anyone inform of which is the best trans fluid for the 700r4 gearbox & the amount it takes, .Brian

Brian, First off let me say that to this point, this is just hearsay.
I installed my TPI 700R4 over a year ago. At that time I questioned what type of fluid could be used and was assured that the Dextron lll was just fine. TPI had suggested only synthetic. Although the Dex operates the trans swell the car to now runs hotter then I like. I purchased but have yet to install a under car cooler with a fan. I've currently got the cooling hooked to an under car hang on and through the radiator. Going through the radiator has caused my engine temp to jump plenty during idle. Cruising is up a little but just fine.

I stopped by the TPI booth at L'Ville and discussed the heat problem and was informed that the use of synthetic was to help correct the heat problem. They stated that syn will drop the operating temp -20 degrees and that even a 50/50 mix will drop the temp -10 degrees. They said that's primarily why it was suggested in the first place.

When I install the new cooler I plan to exchange 6 or 7 quarts with synthetic.

As far as fluid volume I believe it's something like 11 quarts but beware. If it's a tested prior to shipping trans then it will have some amount of fluid within the tranny that isn't accounted for so a dipstick is in order.
Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

flt-blk

Warning.  If you use synthetic and have a chrome dipstick it is very hard to read.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Crosley.In.AZ

use dexron III fluid.

If you worry about NOT using synthetic fluid.... mix the 2.

Add 3-4 quarts of syn oil and you recieve 70% of the benefits of full syn oil.

Syn oil is actually toooo slippery and it can cause a roller clutch or a dog leg sprag to slip with a higher horse power motor & some good traction...... the 700r4 tranny has one of each design sprag and roller clutch.

Most street / hot rod cars never see the slippage deal from syn oil on the sprags.

You will need 12 quarts if the tranny / converter are dry.

A deep pan will hold more fluid.

Regarding heat in trannys... I had one fellow on another bbs that just yapped and yapped about how hot his tranny felt after 30 minutes of driving.  His comment was :" I cannot put my hand on the pan!"... Yet the tranny acted fine , never puked fluid like it was over heated.

I asked him if he could put his hand in hot water at 150*F...... If it felt hot?

I pointed out that 150*F was a cool temp for an automatic to operate at
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Santa Fe Bri

Thanks guy`s they are the answer`s I require, My local parts house only stock "Dexron two & on the side of the container it says DX THREE which is a little confusing, is it two or three, Cheer`s ..............Brian

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Santa Fe Bri"Thanks guy`s they are the answer`s I require, My local parts house only stock "Dexron two & on the side of the container it says DX THREE which is a little confusing, is it two or three, Cheer`s ..............Brian

the dexron  2 or 3 fluid will work fine.   dexron II was the fluid till the number "3" fluid came out
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Santa Fe Bri