windshield chip repair

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 19, 2005, 12:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been looking around for a chip repair kit....

the type that uses the little suction cups & the threaded piece that helps to force the liquid into the cracks on a windshield.

Only one I have found is on Eastwood site. I've found nothing locally , but I have not checked many local places yet.

By the time I pay shipping from Eastwood I'd be  better off to simply find a guy to fix the winder chips locally.  

If I get the chips fixed under my auto  insurance , they count it as a full windshield claim and rates go up.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

State Farm told me that if I had mine repaired rather than replaced they would pay the entire repair without it going against my rating.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Leon"State Farm told me that if I had mine repaired rather than replaced they would pay the entire repair without it going against my rating.

======= Guess what?  Allstate agent told me that too .

I now have 3 dings on my insurance for windshield claims on  my record.

When I asked my agent about this crap , her response was : " Oh gee they changed that I think"..... I checked it out.  Allstate's response is :" The chip repairs have increased in price , so now we track that as a windshield claim"

I cancelled EVERYTHING I had insured with her and Allstate over 1 year ago....

Wanna hear another funny ( not a ha ha funny) ?

I checked around for different insurance prior to cancelling Allstate..... A Farmers agent tells me about the windshield claims will raise the rate quote.  THEN he says you have windshield claims on the 2001 Ford truck from 1999.

When I asked how a 2001 truck could have windshield  claims from 1999 I got a real stoopid / puzzled look from him.... I am not with Farmers insurance.

SO , now I will repair windshield chips myself if possible  

Are ALL insurance agents stoopid as dirt?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

moparrodder

Quote from: "Crosley"I've been looking around for a chip repair kit....

the type that uses the little suction cups & the threaded piece that helps to force the liquid into the cracks on a windshield.

Tony, I'll check with our local body man to see what kind he has and where to get one and price.  He has fixed star cracks in our semi windshields with great success as long as they aren't too old, but even if they are old cracks they almost disappear, it's the long splits that can't be fixed.  If he isn't tractor pulling this weekend someplace I'll try and post here Sunday night.   Bill

docchevy

Hi Tony,
    Yep, all insurance agents get a Dumb sign.  They should send us one for using them.  I know I have Farmer's too.
    I've used the cheap stuff from Auto Zoo and they worked fine.  the only trick is to get it right the first time.  You can't go back and try it again or add to it.  I just unloaded an old Chevy last year that I had repaired 5 years before and no problems.
Remember; Physics explains everything!

jaybee

Quote from: "Crosley"I checked around for different insurance prior to cancelling Allstate..... A Farmers agent tells me about the windshield claims will raise the rate quote.  THEN he says you have windshield claims on the 2001 Ford truck from 1999.

When I asked how a 2001 truck could have windshield  claims from 1999 I got a real stoopid / puzzled look from him.... I am not with Farmers insurance.

SO , now I will repair windshield chips myself if possible  

Are ALL insurance agents stoopid as dirt?

We ditched Farmers several years ago.  In 11 years with them we had only 2 hail damage claims, something that I'd think should be averaged across all policy holders as an "act of God".  Both times we had to fight tooth and nail to get half the money it would take to fix the damage properly.  We saved $800.00/yr by switching!

I got a bit of satisfaction out of the last claim, however.  The claims rep met us at one of the largest local car dealers, right out in the reception area.  Picture this at steadily increasing volume with at least a dozen people within easy earshot:

"No, I'm very unhappy with FARMERS INSURANCE.  We've already received three estimates from reputable shops as my FARMERS agent instructed me and this is 1/3 what it will take for FARMERS to fix my car.  We went through this same mess 7 years ago and FARMERS INSURANCE estimate was only half what it took to fix the car.  I can't get a shop to even touch my car for what FARMERS is willing to pay.  Yes I understand how deductibles work, FARMERS INSURANCE shouldn't expect for me to pay 3 times my deductible to fix the car, especially when the hail damage wasn't anything I could have controlled.  Believe me, my FARMERS agent is going to get a call as soon as I get back to the office and I'll be forced to drop FARMERS INSURANCE as my carrier even though the agent is a personal friend.  In 11 years we've never had a claim except for 2 hail storms, and I don't appreciate the treatment we're getting from FARMERS."

My tone was businesslike, not abusive, but increasingly loud.  I didn't improve my settlement much but a whole bunch of people walked out with a pretty good idea knowing who NOT to call for an estimate.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)