Scored a funny Flathead

Started by Dave, August 15, 2005, 08:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I bought a 1928 Chevrolet Roadster Pickup recently for a future project and the owner told me that some other old car parts around the farm are also included as he was retiring and they would be thrown out otherwise. One of the parts I scored is this fairly unique Sidevalve Ford engine. Came from a Simca Vedette and basically the same as a V8-60 but is 143 c.i. Engine is complete and here are some pictures below.

Right hand side view! Manifolds and side mounts all there.

Left hand side view. Engine oil is clean.

Rear view.

Front view. Dissy cap broken. How good would this engine look in a T speedster all polished and detailed? I haven't yet decided what to do with it. Might tidy it up, paint it and polish some of the alloy and stick it on an engine stand in the shed till I find a suitable project! Anyone here know much about these? We had Simcas here in Australia but they are not that common and most of the engines seem to have gone into midgets.

manyolkars

the oil in my grandfathers 37 Ford was clean too. It sat from 1956 til I got it in 1971.  I finally figured out that the oil was clean because the contaminants were no longer in suspension.  Everything had settled.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "Dave"Might tidy it up, paint it and polish some of the alloy and stick it on an engine stand in the shed till I find a suitable project!
Dave, Ive seen your shed, but not the floor.
Where are you gunna find room for an engine stand?

BTW, didnt happen to get a 28chev 4cyl two-port head with that lot did you? Anyone else know where I can find one?
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Carps

Quote from: "Mr Cool"
Quote from: "Dave"Might tidy it up, paint it and polish some of the alloy and stick it on an engine stand in the shed till I find a suitable project!
Dave, Ive seen your shed, but not the floor.
I found it the other day, just one small patch..
QuoteWhere are you gunna find room for an engine stand?
OOPS!, that small patch is now also gone, somebody left a late model mopar engine there.   :wink:   Dunno if you'd call the tyre it's resting on an engine stand.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

QuoteBTW, didnt happen to get a 28chev 4cyl two-port head with that lot did you? Anyone else know where I can find one?
What?  You turned to the dark side?  Restorer?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Dave

There is an engine stand in the corner (with no engine!) and another 40' going on the front of the shed real soon for me to fill up! There is a head on the complete engine but no spare. Now there is also a Mopar 273 in there too (thanks Carps!) for Katie's Plymouth coupe and our 57 Chev wagon arrived today. Boy am I running out of room. Back to the subject though is anyone here using one of these Flatheads?

Mr Cool

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Mr Cool"BTW, didnt happen to get a 28chev 4cyl two-port head with that lot did you? Anyone else know where I can find one?
What?  You turned to the dark side?  Restorer?
No way, thinkin of hopping up the 27 engine a bit.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

barnsey

hi Dave how come all the old stuffs down your way" i might have to move down south"on second thought's i think ill stay in the warm part of the country lol
cheers Barnsey