Preping bumpers for paint

Started by BFS57, August 08, 2005, 02:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Anyone out there know any "special" way to prep chrome (ugly,pitted, and rusty) for painting.
Do you have to use any special process? What kind of paint? Any special tools (sanders,grinders ect)?, ant etching compounds?
Thinking about painting my 57' Chevy bumpers when I paint the car.

Bruce

MrMopar64

Best is to have it De-chromed........

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Pep

I used a sander with fine grade paper and roughed up the surface. I then used a self etching primer and gave it a couple of coats. You could try hi huild primer or Stop putty for the pitting. Then another coat of primer. Mine has stayed on now for quite a while without flaking off.
See Ya
Pep

Carps

If it's too far gone to be saved by filling with bronze or copper, heave it into the dumpster and get a new one.

Bumpers should be chrome!  

But that's just my ever so humble opinion.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

BFS57

Hello;

Nothing would suit me better than to have all that gleaming chrome in perfect condition, ('57 Chevies have a ton of it!) but I have a budget in mind for this project  (i've already gone over it already) and the over $1000 it would take to make the bumpers like new again (or buy new ones) is out for now due to other considerations.
Besides, I think that the color scheme I have picked lends itself to painted bumpers.
Thanks for the helpful hints, so far. Has anyone tried epoxy primer?

Bruce

Carps

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;

Nothing would suit me better than to have all that gleaming chrome in perfect condition, ('57 Chevies have a ton of it!) but I have a budget in mind for this project  (i've already gone over it already)
Welcome to our world.   :wink:
Quoteand the over $1000 it would take to make the bumpers like new again (or buy new ones) is out for now due to other considerations.
OUCH!  :shock:  There's another plus for prewar cars or radical customising  Have you considered rolled pans, front and rear?   :lol:
QuoteBesides, I think that the color scheme I have picked lends itself to painted bumpers.
Thanks for the helpful hints, so far. Has anyone tried epoxy primer?
Nope, but I'd hafta figure it's be a good bet.  Maybe even a wipe of regular body filler under the primer just to be sure theose big metal things are nice and smooth for the colour of your choice.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.