Air, heat & defrost

Started by topless, July 22, 2005, 08:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topless

I have a big ol' a/c -heat-defrost unit under the dash of my '48 Buick 2- door sedanette. I want to upgrade to a new, electric control unit that will handle this car.
All the advertisers claim their coolers are the best, would like to hear from you guys that have different units in your cars to try to help me find the cooler that will work best in my car. Thanks for your input, Topless.
Buy a Buick, they got plenty power.   :)

Ohio Blue Tip

Having participated in a few installations of Vintage Air units and in the process of installing one in my 34, I believe they have the best on the market.  They may cost a little more but quality is appreciated long after the thrill of saving a few bucks.
My 2 cents worth.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

alchevy

I will be able to tell you in a few weeks if my Hot Rod Air unit works to cool my '40 Chevy 2-door Sedan, it should.  Just make sure you get a unit with at least 4 vents for a/c and like you said, get defrost. Mine is the Elite Deluxe unit.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

topless

Quote from: "40chevy"I will be able to tell you in a few weeks if my Hot Rod Air unit works to cool my '40 Chevy 2-door Sedan, it should.  Just make sure you get a unit with at least 4 vents for a/c and like you said, get defrost. Mine is the Elite Deluxe unit.
AL

Good advice! I will be anxious to hear how this baby cools, your car and mine are about the same size.  Thanks, Topless.

EMSjunkie

I'm running a Vintage Air GenII compac
in my coupe. so far so good.
was a fairly simple install.
all electric servos.
simple wiring. I like simple.

plan ahead when deciding where to put
the bulkhead, if using one.

save yourself alot of aggravation

good luck

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

midnight sun

Quote from: "topless"I have a big ol' a/c -heat-defrost unit under the dash of my '48 Buick 2- door sedanette. I want to upgrade to a new, electric control unit that will handle this car.
All the advertisers claim their coolers are the best, would like to hear from you guys that have different units in your cars to try to help me find the cooler that will work best in my car. Thanks for your input, Topless.

Using a Vintage Air Compac Gen II in my Model a Coupe.  Works great.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

topless

Quote from: "midnight sun"
Quote from: "topless"I have a big ol' a/c -heat-defrost unit under the dash of my '48 Buick 2- door sedanette. I want to upgrade to a new, electric control unit that will handle this car.

Do you think this Compac II unit will handle my sedan? thanks, topless.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "topless"
Quote from: "midnight sun"

Do you think this Compac II unit will handle my sedan? thanks, topless.

Vintage makes several Gen II systems.
my compac unit keeps my Coupe
cool enough to hang meat inside  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

reborn55

Gen II keeps my 48 Dodge coupe nice and cool.  Heat and defrost work very well also.

47wood

Vintage Air Gen II is the way to go.  Cost a little more but worth it IMHO.
Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

topless

Quote from: "47wood"Vintage Air Gen II is the way to go.  Cost a little more but worth it IMHO.
Cal   :wink:
I am pretty well convinced that I will use "Vintage Air" even if it costs a little more. I have installed two of the "Sure Fit" units in a '54 and a '56 Ford pickups. They seem to do a pretty good job in a small cab like that, my concern is the size of my '48 Buick Roadmaster. The unit that is in it now is pretty big but it just does a fair job of cooling. The temp at the discharge vents is cold and maybe I just expect too much. (we have had 36 days over 100 degrees here this summer)
 Thanks to all you guys that have responded, I like input about this subject and feel we can't know too much about A/C for Hotrods. I would like to hear from more guys that have sedans about their experience with their coolers.  Thanks, Topless

enjenjo

If there is a concern about size, you can install a rear air unit out of a van in the trunk for the back seat area. The two combined will cool it just fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"If there is a concern about size,   quote]

I always thought size didn't matter?  :?  :oops:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

topless

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "enjenjo"If there is a concern about size,   quote]

I always thought size didn't matter?  :?  :oops:

Vance

It's not the size of the organ, it's how well you play it!!

EMSjunkie

I guess even a 747 would look
small flying thru the
Grand canyon  :shock:  :shock:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders