4.3 V6 Quandry....

Started by Jbird, July 20, 2005, 12:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

I recently installed a rebuilt long block in a 95 S10 4X4 Blazer. Not a fun job, ranks right up there with putting an engine in a 4X4 Nissan Pathfinder.
Now I have the core 4.3. It ran fine except for an annoying rod knock. The owners sixteen year old daughter wasn't sure about all those gauges in the dash, well, except for the gas gauge and speedo, she ran it way low on oil.

The naked long block was $2000.00 from GM, kinda pricey but it did come with a 36 month warranty and a nice plastic crate. I thought maybe I'd eat the $200.00 core charge put a crank kit in it, freshen up the heads, rering it then hunt down some hot rod stuff for it. It's a late 4.3 Vortech with the balance shaft in the lifter valley, see attached pic. I haven't been able to find any hot rod stuff other than maybe an Edelbrock manifold. Is anyone making performance stuff for this engine or should I put it back in it's plastic box and collect my 200 bucks?
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Leon

For $200 I'd tear it down and find out what's wrong with it.  I've heard there is stuff available for that engine, tho I haven't looked for it myself.

tomslik

hustle crosley.....
btw, i've got a couple of non-vortec engines sitting here....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"hustle crosley.....

I am not sure the aluminum heads and intake I have ( Still )  would bolt onto that late of a block with the balance shaft down the valley area
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"hustle crosley.....

I am not sure the aluminum heads and intake I have ( Still )  would bolt onto that late of a block with the balance shaft down the valley area

like i said, i've got a couple non-balance shaft 4.3's sitting here..;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bib_Overalls

The heads are not the problem.  Most intakes bulge down into the lifter valley a bit.  They will not clear the ballance shaft.  The only Edelbrock I have seen listed for the 4.3 is pre-ballance shaft.

I say go for the $200.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"The heads are not the problem.  Most intakes bulge down into the lifter valley a bit.  They will not clear the ballance shaft.  The only Edelbrock I have seen listed for the 4.3 is pre-ballance shaft.

========= I have an early set of GM Performance unfinished ( no valves , etc) aluminum heads and GM aluminum  intake for the 4.3...... some forged pistons & various HP stuff .

tomslik wants them real bad I am sure.  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)