Project Update, 35 Ford

Started by Dirk35, July 06, 2005, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

WEll, as most of you know, I take my time due to other life commitments. Anyway, I just got back from a little over a month in Missouri for Army and have been piddling with the truck again. Its so close to running, I can almost taste the exhaust fumes. All Im waiting on now is the radiator (then Ill get a fan after measuring clearances) and windshield, title, tag, and insurance and Ill be good to go.

Anybody got links to the old topics of who is good to use for insurance or your opnions??

Oh yeah, against the Frank's advise, I went ahead and tore the whole truck back apart and cut the MII crossmember out, widened it 1/4 inch each side and welded it back in. I am very pleased with how it turned out, but I got in a hurry on the strut rod brackets due to a softball game and am not happy with the quality of the welds on them. However, I am VERY pleased with my welds on the crossmember as I took my time and I really implressed myself. They actually look like rows of tiny dimes.

For the widening of the crossmember, I used 1/4" stick, ground good bevels for filler, and cranked the heat all the way when welding them to the crossmember. I got good enough penetration that I had to go back and fill in the welds to make it pretty before cleaning them up.

Dirk35

Dave

WZ JUNK

Looks great.  Can you make it to the HAMB Drags?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dirk35

I doubt Ill make the HAMB Drags. We are going to Hawaii to visit Hazel's Family in two weeks. Ill try to have it running by then if I can get the cooling situation solved by then.

timkins

Don't envy you, being at FLW in the summer months is not my idea of fun anymore. Spent too many June, July and Augusts there myself, and that was in the old WWII barracks.
Quote from: "Dirk35"WEll, as most of you know, I take my time due to other life commitments. Anyway, I just got back from a little over a month in Missouri for Army and have been piddling with the truck again. Its so close to running, I can almost taste the exhaust fumes. All Im waiting on now is the radiator (then Ill get a fan after measuring clearances) and windshield, title, tag, and insurance and Ill be good to go.

Anybody got links to the old topics of who is good to use for insurance or your opnions??

Oh yeah, against the Frank's advise, I went ahead and tore the whole truck back apart and cut the MII crossmember out, widened it 1/4 inch each side and welded it back in. I am very pleased with how it turned out, but I got in a hurry on the strut rod brackets due to a softball game and am not happy with the quality of the welds on them. However, I am VERY pleased with my welds on the crossmember as I took my time and I really implressed myself. They actually look like rows of tiny dimes.

For the widening of the crossmember, I used 1/4" stick, ground good bevels for filler, and cranked the heat all the way when welding them to the crossmember. I got good enough penetration that I had to go back and fill in the welds to make it pretty before cleaning them up.

an4itio

Looking good ............ been awhile since we have spoke, glad to see you getting to make some progress on your truck.
Dont DistUrbed Me Im DiStuRbEd EnOuGh!!

Dirk35

an4itio, you had the dual carb set-up you were asking questions about 5 months ago, right?

If so, Ill be calling you soon for help if I can get that * radiator!

:)

Quote from: "an4itio"Looking good ............ been awhile since we have spoke, glad to see you getting to make some progress on your truck.

mu1s9t6a9ng

* dirk she's lookin good.....which island in hawaii....my aunt lives on oahu....millilani town to be exact....ne ways...can't wait to see the finished product

Dirk35

[quote * dirk she's lookin good.....which island in hawaii....my aunt lives on oahu....millilani town to be exact....ne ways...can't wait to see the finished product[/quote]

Thanks ALL! Its getting so close, its killing me!

Her family lives on Maui. We have been to Oahu once though, but mostly go to visit her family......well she tries to go every year for some weird reason. HeHe!