question about some chevy p/u's

Started by mu1s9t6a9ng, July 14, 2005, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I have been wanting a similar ride for quite a while. A buddy just called and told me of a 52 sitting on a S10 long bed frame. So I just called. The body is not mounted. It is just sitting on the frame. The cab is in pretty fair shape. The doors are good. The front clip is not so hot. The bed isn't the right one for the body style. There are no rear fenders. He wants $600 for it, and another $100 for all new glass. I think I will have to pass.
Beck

Beck

Quote from: "grumpy"Actually, that's what I plan to do for next year. Because I want to trade my truck off on a 28-34 Ford Hotrod.
If I trade or sell mine, I plan to build one just as I described for daily use.

Grumpy, why don't I just buy yours. I never seem to have enough time to finish anything of my own. PM me maybe we can work it out.
Beck

enjenjo

I just picked up a nice 53 cab and sheet metal, but I passed on the frame since it was a big truck. Having built a couple of these before, I am sure the stock frame is plenty strong enough, even without boxing it. After all, the new truck frames are virtually the same.

But since I don't have a stock frame, I am thinking of building one. I know many have used S10 frames, but I feel they are too narrow tread to look right. There are also issues with the steering/ core support interface. Dodge Dakota is about the right width, and has rack and pinion, but they are either too short, or too long, and I can't find a useable one around here.  So my idea is to use a G body front clip, which has the rails 34" wide at the rear of the suspension, and the right tread width, with a rack and pinion conversion, and fabricating the rest of the frame from 3" by 4" rectangular tubing, with a slight kickup over the rear axle, and use 73 to 87 1/2 ton  rear hangers and springs, with the axle mounted on top of the springs. This should be simple to fabricate, easy to mount the body to, and really strong.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

grumpy

Quote from: "Beck"

Grumpy, why don't I just buy yours. I never seem to have enough time to finish anything of my own. PM me maybe we can work it out.
Beck

Beck. you have a PM

I tried to change my email in my profile thing. No luck.

It's  grumpy@zoominternet.net
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"...  So my idea is to use a G body front clip, which has the rails 34" wide at the rear of the suspension, and the right tread width, with a rack and pinion conversion ...

You'll share pictures of this as you build it I hope!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com