Street Rod Nationals

Started by alchevy, July 13, 2005, 02:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Has anyone traveled the Western Kentucky Parkway that comes out at Elizabethtown, KY below Louisville at I-65? I have heard that's it's a good route to take. Less road construction than I-65 below Nashville. Seems like they are always working on I-65 somewhere, looks like they would get through eventualy. I know it's a long stretch of interstate. Not as long as I-20 is and they are always repairing some portion of it also.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Nick32Vic

Whoa man! I have no idea what your talking about, but  the topic is Street Rod Nationals! Now you got me all wound up! Im ready!

Hopefully someone else can help you with the roads cus i sure cant.

Nick

alchevy

I was just searching for a way to talk about the Nats and wanted to know more about that route. Figured everyone that's going this year would be talking about it. I have so much fun there, that I could talk about it all year! A friend of mine told me that he comes home from the Nats each year and thinks to himself that it's just too big of a car show, that there's no way you can see all of it, that...and then he's ready to go back.

I like the location in Louisville. Have heard some say that people will get tired of going to the same place, but I guess we know that has not been a problem since the motels are booked all year long and folks are still going. I like going back to the same place year after year because you learn all of the routes in and out of the fairgrounds and where to go eat at and other stuff. If it was in a different city each year, you can imagine how lost all of us rodders would be!

Usually about this time someone will start talking about the RRT meeting times and locations.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

It's kind of hard to talk about meeting places, until we know if we can use our usual place. Whatever the place, between about12 and 2 pm there will be someone there. We are bringing the BBQ trailer, so cooking will be possible. Last year we even cooked breakfast a couple times.

I have a motel room in shepherdsville this year, straight shot to the fairgrounds up 65. It looks like I will be driving my old 47 Fleetline this year.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

alchevy

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a motel room in shepherdsville this year, straight shot to the fairgrounds up 65. It looks like I will be driving my old 47 Fleetline this year.

We stay in Shepherdsville too. We used to stay on the East side of Louisville off of Hustborne, but found the 15 minute drive from Shepherdsville easier than fighting the rush hour traffic in the Southeastern corner of Louisville.
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

Bib_Overalls

I took I-155 from Caruthersville Mo to the Western Ky Parkway a far as Mayfield last month.  Very nice drive.  Almost no traffic.  I have been told that some sections of the Parkway are poorly maintained.  But others have told me it is a good way to go.  

I know that folks who took I-65 frm Nashville to Bowling Green (for the National Hot Rod Reunion) last month were not pleased with the condition of the road or the traffic.

I say give the Parkway a try.  At worst it will only add an hour or two to the trip and you will get to see something new.  That is the way I plan on going if I go.  Driving a roadster means always making last minute plans.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

alchevy

This year, we'll be able to see what we are cruising by since we'll be making the trip during the day instead of throughout the night...only thing I see when driving like that during the nighttime is the guys taillights in front of me that I am following.

We have to eat at a Cracker Barrell while on the trip up, so I wander if there is one on that route. Or what places would anyone recommend on that route to get a bite to eat at? Going to miss Stan's Restaurant on I-65 below Nashville at Columbia, TN. We found it a few years ago coming home from the Nats and have stopped each time since. The first time, we saw some street rodders coming out of there so we knew it couldn't be too bad. Just think of it as a Cracker Barrell with a convience store attached and a gas station.

Hey, going this route, we get to go through Memphis where the headquarters of the NSRA is at and where my Walker radiator came from.

Speaking of food...got to go back to Joe's Crab Shack in Louisville at least one night...it has become a tradition for my group that I'll be with. Looks like we will be traveling to the Nats this year with 10 street rods and more will be coming up later on during the week.

www.astreetrodder.com