water in the oil

Started by WZ JUNK, June 28, 2005, 09:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

My buddy Larry bought a new 350 from Chevrolet last week for his 35 Chevy coupe.  He pulled the old engine out and put the new complete crate motor in.  Today while I was doing some wiring on the car he started filling the radiator.  I noticed that he was putting a lot of antifreeze in but I did not know how much.  He said he put over 3 gallon in and it was not full.  Later he checked the oil and it was over full and had the water/antifreeze in it.  This is a new complete motor, never started or even turned over,  carburetor to pan and includes the water pump.  The only thing we did to the motor was drill a bracket hole in one of the heads.  I am wondering what is wrong that caused all the water to go to the oil side of the engine?

Tomorrow we go to the local Chevrolet dealer where he bought the engine and see what they say.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

entodad

Intake gasket comes to mind, or maybe a head gasket or shudder a crack in the block, I had a dry 307 crack its block once from a leak in the roof that dripped into the block as it sat under a shed in a stand, later it froze and cracked.

Doug

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"My buddy Larry bought a new 350 from Chevrolet last week for his 35 Chevy coupe.  He pulled the old engine out and put the new complete crate motor in.  Today while I was doing some wiring on the car he started filling the radiator.  I noticed that he was putting a lot of antifreeze in but I did not know how much.  He said he put over 3 gallon in and it was not full.  Later he checked the oil and it was over full and had the water/antifreeze in it.  This is a new complete motor, never started or even turned over,  carburetor to pan and includes the water pump.  The only thing we did to the motor was drill a bracket hole in one of the heads.  I am wondering what is wrong that caused all the water to go to the oil side of the engine?

Tomorrow we go to the local Chevrolet dealer where he bought the engine and see what they say.
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"My buddy Larry bought a new 350 from Chevrolet last week for his 35 Chevy coupe.  He pulled the old engine out and put the new complete crate motor in.  Today while I was doing some wiring on the car he started filling the radiator.  I noticed that he was putting a lot of antifreeze in but I did not know how much.  He said he put over 3 gallon in and it was not full.  Later he checked the oil and it was over full and had the water/antifreeze in it.  This is a new complete motor, never started or even turned over,  carburetor to pan and includes the water pump.  The only thing we did to the motor was drill a bracket hole in one of the heads.  I am wondering what is wrong that caused all the water to go to the oil side of the engine?

Pulled the valve cover on the side where we drilled the hole for the bracket and sure enough the hole that we drilled had went into the water jacket and then just barely into the rocker arm area.  We fixed it with the magic stuff that comes in the two tubes and a short piece of set screw in the bottom of taped hole where it was leaking.  

As a side note this engine which we thought was American made is made in Mexico.  He had paid more for this particular one thinking it was made in the USA.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Hmm...GM = General Mexico??  It's a 'world economy' now, ya know.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

Pulled the valve cover on the side where we drilled the hole for the bracket and sure enough the hole that we drilled had went into the water jacket and then just barely into the rocker arm area.  We fixed it with the magic stuff that comes in the two tubes and a short piece of set screw in the bottom of taped hole where it was leaking.  

As a side note this engine which we thought was American made is made in Mexico.  He had paid more for this particular one thinking it was made in the USA.

Stinkin' Gringos  :shock:
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

Ive got the gm 350 4 bolt 8.5 to 1 motor and yup it says mexico on it. This is my second one and both have ran great. Maybe if you guys had a mexican drill bit instead of the jap one it woulda worked better.  :lol:
Just kidding. Glad you found it.
Dave