Detailing clay

Started by purplepickup, March 08, 2004, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

A couple months ago I picked up a new (to me) 2001 Ford full sized van.  I'm an ex hippie that still likes vans  8)    It's in my shop right now for preventative maintenance and getting personalized.....you know.......shag carpet, crushed velvet bed, disco lights, mirrors on the ceiling.....the works  :shock:   (just kidding).  

I was going to wax it yesterday but the wax wasn't going on or coming off real well. The paint looks like new but it's a little rough when you run your hand across it so I clayed the hood to see if it would help.  It made all the difference in the world, it really smoothed the finish.  Then I looked at all that sheet metal and that little gob of clay in my hand and started in.  The people that sell the clay sell you the spray bottle of stuff you're supposed to use to lube the clay.  Well, after doing a quarter of the roof I could see that the juice was going to run out long before I got the van done and I didn't feel like running to the store to get more.  I did a quick internet search and found a detailing site that said to mix a couple tablespoons of car wash soap in a squirt bottle full of distilled water instead of buying the expensive stuff.   I tried it and it actually works better than the detailing spray (clay doesn't stick so much)....plus it's almost free so you can use a lot of it.  

I just thought that if anyone is using detail clay, I'd pass it on that you don't have to use the expensive spray.  

You guys with primer just forget you read this :lol:
George

There are guys on this board that have cars in primer.....Oh My :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"A couple months ago I picked up a new (to me) 2001 Ford full sized van.  I'm an ex hippie that still likes vans  8)    It's in my shop right now for preventative maintenance and getting personalized.....you know.......shag carpet, crushed velvet bed, disco lights, mirrors on the ceiling.....the works  :shock:   (just kidding).  

I was going to wax it yesterday but the wax wasn't going on or coming off real well. The paint looks like new but it's a little rough when you run your hand across it so I clayed the hood to see if it would help.  It made all the difference in the world, it really smoothed the finish.  Then I looked at all that sheet metal and that little gob of clay in my hand and started in.  The people that sell the clay sell you the spray bottle of stuff you're supposed to use to lube the clay.  Well, after doing a quarter of the roof I could see that the juice was going to run out long before I got the van done and I didn't feel like running to the store to get more.  I did a quick internet search and found a detailing site that said to mix a couple tablespoons of car wash soap in a squirt bottle full of distilled water instead of buying the expensive stuff.   I tried it and it actually works better than the detailing spray (clay doesn't stick so much)....plus it's almost free so you can use a lot of it.  

I just thought that if anyone is using detail clay, I'd pass it on that you don't have to use the expensive spray.  

You guys with primer just forget you read this :lol:

Drive down when ya get the bong mounted.....
Peace Man.........
Dave

HotRodLadyCrusr

Dad swears by that clay stuff....even stole mine right out from my garage.  I guess I won't call the police on him since I probley won't be needing it for awhile..... :roll:    Big Olds is in primer  :wink:  :lol:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Jimc

Primer?
Ain't that the stuff that holds the paint on the car? :lol:

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Sean

Quote from: "N8DC"Drive down when ya get the bong mounted.....
Peace Man.........
Dave

Bong?!   I'll bet he goes for a Hookah instead with all that room.... :)

parklane

One nice thing about primer is that if you have to remember anything, you can write it on your hood (or where ever), and your ball point pen doesn't skip like it does on those fancy painted surfaces.LOL :lol:  :lol:

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Jimc

By the time I found the ball point pen, I would have forgot what it was that I wanted to remember.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

purplepickup

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "N8DC"Drive down when ya get the bong mounted.....
Peace Man.........
Dave

Bong?!   I'll bet he goes for a Hookah instead with all that room.... :)

Bong???  Wasn't there a show on TV back in the '70s called the Bong Show?

Hookah????  I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but if I did know......you don't have to put expensive Thunderbird or Boones Farm in .....you can use just plain old water. :shock: ...since this is a sort of a tech tip post.  :roll:

Peace..8)
George

rumrumm

The DEA Feds have probably read all of these posts because their computers red flagged the word "bong." LOL We have to be careful or we might be sharing a room with Tommy Chong!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com