FYI brakes again.........

Started by Dave, June 23, 2005, 07:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Ive got the rear brekes all fine and dandy on the 32 after I changed to the ford svo explorer kit but durning the winter I decided to put ceramic pads on the front to get rid of the brake dust I was getting. The thing started pulling to the left and I couldnt get rid of the pull so I decided to put new calipers on and rebleed the system. I did that last nite and if nothing else it seemed worse. Tonite I went back to the parts store and took my cores back and decided id try semi metallic pads again. Guess what ! it stops fine now near as I can tell from the short ride I took tonite. Comming down the street to the house I took my hands off the wheel and hammered the brakes...Staright as an arrow. Hummmm ...........
Dave

jaybee

Very interesting!  Wonder if somehow your pads were mismatched, coming from two different production runs with slightly different friction characteristics.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Very interesting!  Wonder if somehow your pads were mismatched, coming from two different production runs with slightly different friction characteristics.

:lol:  Ya know I just dont want to think like that tonite :)
Dave

tomslik

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "jaybee"Very interesting!  Wonder if somehow your pads were mismatched, coming from two different production runs with slightly different friction characteristics.

:lol:  Ya know I just dont want to think like that tonite :)
Dave

it happens.....
i'm not a big fan of ceramics (unless they're OEM)anyway.....SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL LIKE A PIGGY!!!!!

AND they're tough on rotors..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Fat Cat

Quote from: "N8DC"Ive got the rear brekes all fine and dandy on the 32 after I changed to the ford svo explorer kit but durning the winter I decided to put ceramic pads on the front to get rid of the brake dust I was getting. The thing started pulling to the left and I couldnt get rid of the pull so I decided to put new calipers on and rebleed the system. I did that last nite and if nothing else it seemed worse. Tonite I went back to the parts store and took my cores back and decided id try semi metallic pads again. Guess what ! it stops fine now near as I can tell from the short ride I took tonite. Comming down the street to the house I took my hands off the wheel and hammered the brakes...Staright as an arrow. Hummmm ...........
Dave

El Polacko from the HAMB has posted the same situation on the HAMB a couple of times. Most recently on a COE Hauler. He dislikes them alot.

manyolkars

You could swap the pads (put the left pads on the right side)  to see what that does.

slocrow

Quote from: "manyolkars"You could swap the pads (put the left pads on the right side)  to see what that does.

Yeah but, that Dave boy has enough trouble keeping his right brain left brain thinking going straight....... :) LOL, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

I'll step in on  the ceramic pad deal....I installed them on the front  fresh turned rotors for our F-150 supercrew truck at 37k miles.

Noise , what seemed like a  vibration during braking , pulling.  The pads acted differently from cold to fully warmed up

I swapped to a regular metalic pad and no problems in near 30k miles.

The OE Ford  pads worked great , little dust , smooth.....  I may buy pads from Ford next brake job.

My 2000 Silverado has 70k mles and the OE pads are still on the front
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Phat

Lots of returns on ceramic pads from mini vans to 450 and 550 super dutys.
Tried them on my personal Volvo with brand new rotors.  Forget it 900 miles they went back.
They just might be the ticket for racing when hot but they sure dont work on the street.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard