Mounting rear fenders

Started by phat46, June 19, 2005, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have a question on mounting rear fenders on my truck project. I am using flat trailer type fenders on the rear that I want to mout to the rear axle. Has anyone done this? I have a couple ideas, but would like to hear others ideas also, as i have never really looked at how this was done. I thought maybe i could mount the fender brackets to the backing plate, (Ford 9")  or maybe attach the brackets to the axle tube itself, either by welding or clamping around the tube. Any ideas?

parklane

Joe..... Waaayy back when, I put cycle fenders on the front of a 32 roadster,and I welded 1/2" pieces of pipe (about 9" in length) onto the backing plates. Then made fenders from an old spare tire cover, bent and welded pipe that fit loose in the 1/2 pipe onto the fenders, and slid the fenders down till they looked good, and clamped them in place. Held well til I got rid of the car.

When you get it done, come on over to God's country & see us.
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

phat46

When you get it done, come on over to God's country & see us.

I'll try to get over there this summer some time, although last time I was there I got really confused by seeing a Tim Hortons on every other corner...... :shock:  :lol:  God must REALLY like donuts...

GPster

My first thought was to have you check over on "Posie's" site. Pa. has a fender law and most of what he builds seems drivable and even though they may not be shown with fenders ( like the recent "Rod and Custom" feature coupe/pick-up) I'd think he has fenders for it somewhere. Thinking this way I'd hate to have hardware hanging on it with no apparent use if you decided to go fender-less for a while. Why don't you make some copies of 3" exhaust clamps with axel "U"bolts and some square tubing  and fasten the fender struts to the tubing part. That way you could just un-bolt the fenders and struts and not have to do any welding on the rearend housing or backing plates. Also, if you decide to change wheel type or size you wouldn't have to modify the car to see if you like it. GPster

phat46

Quote from: "GPster"My first thought was to have you check over on "Posie's" site. Pa. has a fender law and most of what he builds seems drivable and even though they may not be shown with fenders ( like the recent "Rod and Custom" feature coupe/pick-up) I'd think he has fenders for it somewhere. Thinking this way I'd hate to have hardware hanging on it with no apparent use if you decided to go fender-less for a while. Why don't you make some copies of 3" exhaust clamps with axel "U"bolts and some square tubing  and fasten the fender struts to the tubing part. That way you could just un-bolt the fenders and struts and not have to do any welding on the rearend housing or backing plates. Also, if you decide to change wheel type or size you wouldn't have to modify the car to see if you like it. GPster

That's kinda what i had in mind if I was to clamp them to the axle tube. I could easily make up some clamps at work to fit the tube. I may go this way at first, I don't have my rear tires picked out yet so i wil probably go with the ones on it now for a while.  Trailer fenders are prettycheap at  TSC.. :lol:

av8

If it were my ride, I'd look for a way to mount the fenders on the bed or chassis as sprung weight rather than on the axle as unsprung weight.  Axle-mounted fenders take quite a pounding, and even lightweight aluminum or steel "tire-cover" fenders require substantial mounts if they are to survive in place.

You could attach the fenders to the bed with welded tube struts bridging semi-circular flanges bolted to the bed and the fender. Or you could use a flanged semi-circular skirt to span the distance.  Three short struts per side would do it, enough to triangulate the mount.  Four small holes in the bed side would be enough to attach the flange, and if you wanted to run sans fenders you could ignore the small holes or temporarily "plug" them with short carriage bolts painted body color.

phat46

Quote from: "av8"If it were my ride, I'd look for a way to mount the fenders on the bed or chassis as sprung weight rather than on the axle as unsprung weight.  Axle-mounted fenders take quite a pounding, and even lightweight aluminum or steel "tire-cover" fenders require substantial mounts if they are to survive in place.

You could attach the fenders to the bed with welded tube struts bridging semi-circular flanges bolted to the bed and the fender. Or you could use a flanged semi-circular skirt to span the distance.  Three short struts per side would do it, enough to triangulate the mount.  Four small holes in the bed side would be enough to attach the flange, and if you wanted to run sans fenders you could ignore the small holes or temporarily "plug" them with short carriage bolts painted body color.

I thought about that too, but i want thses fenders real close to the tire, less than an inch, to get the look I'm after..... not gonna be every ones cup o' tea, but that's why we build 'em i guess.  :D