What is it?

Started by enjenjo, May 30, 2005, 08:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

There is a sensor/sender on the thermostat housing on my Concord, 258 six. It's broken, and the temp guage doesn't work, but the part stocked for the temp guage sendor is not the same, or even close. this one has three wires going to it, green, blue, and black. Pin connectors like the old radio vacuum tubes. Three in a line. anyone have any idea what it is, and where to get one?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

possibly a dual purpose sensor for the temp gauge and the computer for the  EFI?

:arrow:   :wink:   :wink:

Quote from: "enjenjo"There is a sensor/sender on the thermostat housing on my Concord, 258 six. It's broken, and the temp guage doesn't work, but the part stocked for the temp guage sendor is not the same, or even close. this one has three wires going to it, green, blue, and black. Pin connectors like the old radio vacuum tubes. Three in a line. anyone have any idea what it is, and where to get one?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

It doesn't have EFI, but it does have a feedback carb, so you may be right. but it doesn't show up in the books.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"There is a sensor/sender on the thermostat housing on my Concord, 258 six. It's broken, and the temp guage doesn't work, but the part stocked for the temp guage sendor is not the same, or even close. this one has three wires going to it, green, blue, and black. Pin connectors like the old radio vacuum tubes. Three in a line. anyone have any idea what it is, and where to get one?

I sat down with a NAPA picture book, and went through all the sensors shown.  ...Found none with three pin-type terminals, as you described.   ...I guess it is/was not a popular item.

Did you check with a dealer?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

QuoteDid you check with a dealer?

You're making a joke, right? My insurance company doesn't even list AMC as a choice any more. The local DC dealer seems to have purged anyone who ever heard of AMC.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"

You're making a joke, right? My insurance company doesn't even list AMC as a choice any more. The local DC dealer seems to have purged anyone who ever heard of AMC.

All Mistakes Combined......

how about a pic of it?
year and model and maybe some wire colors might help...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

======== LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

No joke intended, but my mistake was in thinking you were referring to a CHRYSLER Concord.
....I also admit I am not familiar with late-model offerings, so I thought the "258 six" may have been a V6, and you were converting liters to cubic inches.

Please pardon my ignorance!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

No offense taken, none meant. Actually it does get confusing, AMC made the Concord, like the grape, which was actually a Hornet with a new name, Chrysler made the Concorde, like the airplane, an upscale Dodge Intrepid. When they bought AMC, Chrysler continued making the 258 AMC engine, but outside of the block, most everything else changed. So the emissions gear AMC used does not translate to Chrysler parts. As far as I can find, not even Jeep parts from the same era are the same, so unless I can locate a used one, I am SOL.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"No offense taken, none meant. Actually it does get confusing, AMC made the Concord, like the grape, which was actually a Hornet with a new name, Chrysler made the Concorde, like the airplane, an upscale Dodge Intrepid. When they bought AMC, Chrysler continued making the 258 AMC engine, but outside of the block, most everything else changed. So the emissions gear AMC used does not translate to Chrysler parts. As far as I can find, not even Jeep parts from the same era are the same, so unless I can locate a used one, I am SOL.

what year is your concord?

enjenjo

1982 federal emissions

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"1982 federal emissions

guess i'm not gonna be much help either but the gauge temp sender is in the head at the rear on the intake side(or at least it's supposed to be)

model a vette

I know it is a long shot but have you tried a dealer that DID have the continued AMC cars after the takeover. Maybe an older dealership? Now that Daimler has taken over Chrysler it is probably an even longer shot.
Ed

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

58Apache

Frank, I had a 1981 Concord wagon with a 258 straight 6 in it. I remember it had tons of smog crap on it, and probably more than most since it was a California car.  I remember vacuum lines galore on that thing. Some were to help turn things on and off as the car warmed. Several of them went to sensors that screwed into various parts of the engine.  

I remember some cars had a unit in the air cleaner that flipped one way to direct air intake off the exhaust manifold to help warm the engine faster. It flipped the other way after the engine reached a certain temp.

While I don't remember mine having an electrical version of this rascal, is there any chance that is what yours is for? They may have changed the vacuum lines mine had for electrical controls?

My bet is it's some sort of smog related device. Do I get Vegas odds with my bet?

Steve