One coil = ?? inches

Started by Grandadeo, June 03, 2005, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

I just picked up a '53 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door hardtop for the wife (wink wink).  It's due to arrive Sunday.  I know it will need to be dropped some and was wondering if anyone had cut a coil on a similar car and what the net result was in lowering the car.  Have some 2" lowering blocks for the rear that have been on the shelf for 20 years that will finally get used.  I know dropped spindles would be a better way to go but need to keep money going into another project right now.  And I don't even want to mess with air bags.  Any thoughts.  Thanks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

DRD57

Quote from: "Grandadeo"I just picked up a '53 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door hardtop for the wife (wink wink).  It's due to arrive Sunday.  I know it will need to be dropped some and was wondering if anyone had cut a coil on a similar car and what the net result was in lowering the car.  Have some 2" lowering blocks for the rear that have been on the shelf for 20 years that will finally get used.  I know dropped spindles would be a better way to go but need to keep money going into another project right now.  And I don't even want to mess with air bags.  Any thoughts.  Thanks.

Lee

With variations in wire thickness vehicle weights etc. it would be nearly impossible to determine how much the car's going to drop per coil removed.

The best way is to sneak up on it. Cut a little bit. Put it back together and have a look. If it isn't enough repeat the previous steps until it is enough.  It's a whole bunch easier to cut a little more off than it is to put it back on.

Crosley.In.AZ

as Don says sneak up on it.

Depends on number of coils , wire diameter , etc.

I usually cut 1/3 of a circle of a  coil , reinstall the pair  and see what happens
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

OFOF

Quote from: "Grandadeo"I just picked up a '53 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door hardtop for the wife (wink wink).  It's due to arrive Sunday.  I know it will need to be dropped some and was wondering if anyone had cut a coil on a similar car and what the net result was in lowering the car.  Have some 2" lowering blocks for the rear that have been on the shelf for 20 years that will finally get used.  I know dropped spindles would be a better way to go but need to keep money going into another project right now.  And I don't even want to mess with air bags.  Any thoughts.  Thanks.

Lee

I had a '54 Chevy that would be about the same weight as your Mayflower and it looked great with a coil and a half cut.  Other cars we cut coils on reacted differently.  You don't want to even consider cutting 2 coils on a '54 Merc but a chevy is still driveable (kinda) at that point  Good luck!  By the way, those flathead sixes sound great with dual glass packs.
Don.
Don Palfreyman

Grandadeo

Thanks for the quick input guys.

Don Sr.  You brought up my next question.  Anybody got any Hop Up goodies stashed for the little Mopar 6 banger, especially headers of a split manifold?  Got to have them twice pipes.
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

GPster

Is this old enough to still have wheels that bolt on rather than have lug nuts? If it is, the first thing I would do is pull the drums and install studs in them so you don't have to worry about left-hand and right-hand and that locator to hang the wheel on while you try to start the bolts. The drums are small enough to wrap 14" wheels around. I'd go that way and put some good tires on it that are short but not necessarily wide. Wide tires or reversed wheels are going to make that thing a bear to steer and you don't want to always work on your wife's car. GPster