New project car

Started by Pope Downunder, May 27, 2005, 08:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Downunder

I got the bug to build a mini rod at the Nationals.  Anyway, a mate was picking up a real Model A in Victoria, so I volunteered to go with him, and I picked this up whilst down there. It is approximately 1/2 scale '32 Ford.

I do not need another project, but I thought, 'what the hell'.

I put it up on the bench and tried to fit the fenders; not even close!  The body has no floor and is sucked in at the bottom, so I put a 3'x1" battern down the centre line and propped the edges back out so the outside fender lip formed a straight line.  The left and right were warped differently, so I couldn't just expand the overall width.  I had to trim a 35mm to nothing taper off the inside of the running boards and it all fits except for in the wheel-arch, where some more modifications will be required.

Anyway, now I have the correct overall width and shape, I can start planning a frame.

Mr Cool

Ive always wanted one of those, and have been considering purchaing one for some time now.
Who did you get it from? pm me if you want. I need to know where not to buy from if they are that bad.
What did you pay for it?
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

58 Yeoman

Looks cool, but need someone/something next to it to put the size in perspective.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Bib_Overalls

What are you going to run for power?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

looks kool

is that about the size that a golf cart chassis could be modified to power the unit?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have a T bucket body, about 5/8 scale, I am looking for a Crosley drivetrain to put in it. Or maybe an old Honda 800 drivetrain.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a T bucket body, about 5/8 scale, I am looking for a Crosley drivetrain to put in it. Or maybe an old Honda 800 drivetrain.

i think we have a member who is into crosleys.

hmmmmmmmmm

can't remember who it is tho. :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"i think we have a member who is into crosleys.

hmmmmmmmmm

can't remember who it is tho. :wink:

later jim

the name of that great , wonderful guy escapes me.

although I am keeping my weak eye on this Crosley powered unit on ebay.  I've emailed the owner of the van. He has a higher value of the unit than I do.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Mr Cool"Ive always wanted one of those, and have been considering purchaing one for some time now.
Who did you get it from? pm me if you want. I need to know where not to buy from if they are that bad.
What did you pay for it?

This one is from a mower shop in Castlemaine; http://www.hot-rod.com.au/minirods/stages.htm.  It is just over 1/2 scale, and measures about 2100mm overall.  It is a good looking body, as it represents the proportions of the '32 fairly well.  It was $650 with fenders.

There is a guy in Qld building them as well; http://users.bigpond.com/wizart/.

I need to build this thing pretty economically, so I will be keeping it very simple.  I have a 5hp Briggs 'Flathead', and it will be a chain drive, no reverse etc.  I have a 'diff' here from an old Bolens ride-on mower, and wheels etc, so that will probably find its way in there.  (It was donated).

It is for my kids,  :wink: , but I intend making it so I can drive it too; you know, just to make sure it is 'safe'.  :roll:  As I am over 6 feet, that will be a challenge, but I think it is possible if I support the column off a floor support, rather than a dash rail, and have the dash, and possibly the cowl-top, removable.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Crosley"looks kool

is that about the size that a golf cart chassis could be modified to power the unit?

Yes, it would be about right.

Bob K

I hate to hijack this post but obviously not enough to stop me from doing it.

Neil: we are going to miss your smiling face at the nats and B'ville this year, it was great hanging out with you last year.

Good luck on the new project and hope to see you again soon on this side of the big pond

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Neil.....Good luck with the new project....I'll bet the kids will have a blast !
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Bob K"I hate to hijack this post but obviously not enough to stop me from doing it.

Neil: we are going to miss your smiling face at the nats and B'ville this year, it was great hanging out with you last year.

Good luck on the new project and hope to see you again soon on this side of the big pond

B 8) B

I sure hope to get back again, we had a good time, and I appreciated the hospitality of you all.  I cannot see me getting back for a few years, but you never know.