The best in the '70s may not be enough now.

Started by GPster, May 09, 2005, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"The vega pitman arm drops down a little but the arc it swings is 5 3/4". GPster
If you look at picture 3 (top view) you'll see while I'll try a little harder to find a 605. I guess around here they are mostly found in V6 powered cars. The dirt track guys have rounded up most of them for sparesuntil they get a chance to up-grade to the 800. Abuse throws the snap-ring out of the top and ruins them. If Josh doesn't come up with one maybe I'll find one in someone's spares. GPster

enjenjo

How much room do you have between the adjuster nut on the top of the box, and the rear of the motor mount? That measurement is 5" on an 800 series box. That appears to be your tight spot.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"How much room do you have between the adjuster nut on the top of the box, and the rear of the motor mount? That measurement is 5" on an 800 series box. That appears to be your tight spot.
From the center of the adjuster to the back of the motor mount tube is 7". From the center of the adjuster to the bottom  back edge of the piramid shaped vertical support (picture 1 and 4)is 5 7/8". The back edge of this support is at the top inside edge of the frame. My concern is interference between the front of the box and the frame (picture 2 and 3). the large lock nut at the front of the Vega box is only far enough from the top inside edge of the frame to allow you to turn it. Foreward of that the top inside edge of the frame continues up and in. My concern is that a box with much more length on front is going to reguire crushing the top inside edge of the framerail. The "top hat" frame section is only 2" x 3" at this point and this crushing of the frame should be accomplished before the back edge of the motor support. If I shortened the cross steer link and moved the box away from the frame towards the centerline of the chassis it probably would create another set of problems because the frame is really not all that wide. I'm sorry that my looking for the easiest way creates so much work for the people trying to help. GPster

enjenjo

Ok, I can see what you mean. The 600 box is probably going to have a notch there too. Do you think you cound space just the front of the box slightly, and bend the pitman arm back to the same place?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, I can see what you mean. The 600 box is probably going to have a notch there too. Do you think you cound space just the front of the box slightly, and bend the pitman arm back to the same place?
The bolts for the mounting of the box are going through 1/2" Schd. 80 gas pipe and are 90 degrees to the box mounts. I did this to prevent crushing of the frame by tightening the bolts. The pipes go clear through the frame and are welded to both sides. The top tube is mounted for stability and is the same length ( to keep the bolts the same length, I get fussy/stupid). All of the tubes would have to be re-positioned or the box would have to be moved inward the same amount at all mounting places. Because of the pipe going clear through the frame crushing of the top edge may work but I want to start minimal so I'd like to try the 605 box first. I think if I can steer it it might be the one that goes in the garage this time. It would be easier than changing my name. GPster

Carps

That looks  just like the one in my '33, they are quite common over here and i have a few on the shelf.

Only one small glitch, it appears C-9 has inadvertintly reversed the picture when posting, since the mounting tabs appear to be on the wrong side of the housing.   :?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

GPster

Quote from: "Carps"Only one small glitch, it appears C-9 has inadvertintly reversed the picture when posting, since the mounting tabs appear to be on the wrong side of the housing.   :?
It all depends how you look at it ( with my disability I can see it both ways). You guys also have a treasure trove of rear steer rack and pinions for our Mustang II conversions. Corvairs are probably at home there. With the engine rotation you probably use them for FWDs. GPster

C9

Quote from: "Carps"Only one small glitch, it appears C-9 has inadvertintly reversed the picture when posting, since the mounting tabs appear to be on the wrong side of the housing.   :?

Just mount em upside down and put the pitman arm on top.

(You're on your own when it comes to putting the oil/grease in....) :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.