Rides

Started by OlBuzzard, March 02, 2004, 09:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlBuzzard

Rides is on The Learning Channel and they are showing the Moals Coachbuilding shop. They haven't yelled at each other a single time! They are also showing some incredible craftsmen and their work. Tim Allen is even on the show.

Sean

Most of the "Rides" shows are pretty good, but I have watched a couple that are just as stupid as the OCC boys. Even the good ones skip over a lot of stuff, but I guess theres only so much you can make interesting.

What we would find interesting, and what 90% of their viewers find interesting are two different things, I imagine.

purplepickup

Quote from: "OlBuzzard"They haven't yelled at each other a single time! They are also showing some incredible craftsmen and their work.

Not only don't they yell at each other, they say that there are no deadlines....it takes as long as it takes, to make it right.  You're right, the metal working was incredible.  It was a good show again.

The only problem I have is that I'm watching it out in the shop while I'm working on stuff and I look at what I'm doing, then I look at what they're doing and there's a huge difference, but it is inspiring.
George

HotRodLadyCrusr

On Tuesday March 16th Rides will be airing the program entitled Road to the Ridler. They did the filming in a number of the Ridler contender's shops. I'm hoping that they get more into the details of the Steve Moal built '32 Roadster and the '37 Willys that won, along with a few others. Maybe that show will answer some questions as to why the Willys beat out the Roadster.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, after what I thought were a few weeks of clinkers I really liked last nights version. Like George says though, lots of difference between how they are doing things and how I'm doing it. Their metal shaping guy sure made it look easy. I liked his rebodied Triumph GT-6 or whatever it originally was.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

47wood

Last nights show with lots of cool rods was great.  And Tim Allen's humor was a nice alternative to the yelling that is used to add drama to some of these shows.  Love the fact there are NO deadlines "...it'll be done when it's done!"  Strikes me that the Speed Channel missed the boat on these shows and let Discovery and TLC get their foot in the door.  Why don't they rename Speed "The Racing Channel?" :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

mrloboy

I was real impressed with Steve Moal and the entire staff at Moal Coachbuilding. They are truly craftsmen and professional business people.

Following the "rides" eposode, I flipped to Discovery's American Hotrodder with the clowns at O.C.C. (Old Coddington's Circus). As a customer, I wouldn't take my car to these jokers, but as a rod shop owner, I would be ashamed to show the public the inept skills portrayed by these employees. With the exception of "Charlie", not one of those guys should last a week in a facility that supposedly provides high quality production. All the problems that crew encountered during fabrication/assembly is unacceptable. With proper planning, those issues would not come into play. The time wasted redoing each segment, would shorten the over-all build time considerably. Deadlines should be dead, much like all the other reality showes they shove down our throats daily!

Just my opinion! ......rj

Roadstar

I really enjoy the Rides program. IT puts the builders and shop owners in a profesional light. I look forward to each new episode.
The OCC and Amreican Hotrod shows are embarresing.

The Road to the Ridler show should be good. I'm not sure  that the Willys was one of the original 4 cars that they were highlighted.
Sopposedly they were following the build of 4 cars. The Moal built 32. The truck roadster thing that Scotts did,  A car Foose was building, And unfortunatly I can't remember the 4th one.
They also did a lot of filming at the Show. It would be nice if they didn't try and cram it all into one show. We'll just have to see.

enjenjo

Last night the American Hot Rod show was pretty good, the first part was Boyd's misfits, and pretty much sucked as usual, but the second half was Marcel Delay and sons hand forming the aluminum body, well worth watching. much less drama too. For my money they could do several episodes on the Delays.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jimc

I have watched several "Real TV" shows on the Discovery Channel.
It may just be me, but it seems like there is scripted in drama.
Boyds and The Orange County Choppers shops turn out quite interesting projects.
I do not believe that would happen if the employees ane owners were as antoginistic as portrayed.
How many of us would work in that type of environment?
The episode where Paul Sr. sent Vinnie home? C'mon, now!
Script, script, and more script.

It looks like to me that that is "Made for TV" stuff.
Just clean your feet after walking through it.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum