Got a new riding buddy....

Started by Sean, March 07, 2004, 03:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Since the Pet discussion a few weeks ago, I finally broke down and got the Kids a 10 week old Boxer. They named her Daisy. I always had to force Puppys to get in a vehicle the first time, she jumped right in and climbed up on the back of my bench seat. Rode up there all the way home...

Looks like you made one little lady quite happy....also looks like you'll have your hands full in a few years when the boys start knocking on the door :wink: There is a lady who walks past our home nearly every day with her Boxer....he is the most obedient,well trained animal I have ever seen.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Jimc

Quote from: "Sean"Since the Pet discussion a few weeks ago, I finally broke down and got the Kids a 10 week old Boxer. They named her Daisy. I always had to force Puppys to get in a vehicle the first time, she jumped right in and climbed up on the back of my bench seat. Rode up there all the way home...
Two good looking girls. and a riding buddy. It just dont get any better than this.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Sean

Quote from: "40"also looks like you'll have your hands full in a few years when the boys start knocking on the door :wink:

Hunters the youngest. She has two older sisters, 11 and 13, so it won't be long before i'm opening the front door with shotgun in hand.... :)

47wood

She'll add years to your life ...talk about unconditional love.  Highly recommend you find a trainer that offers Puppy Kindergarten and enroll you and her.  I attended with our 5 year old Golden Retreiver, Sunny, when she was about 10 weeks and it made a lot of difference for both of us.  Congratulations! :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

enjenjo

QuoteAs I recall when enjenjo visited the Crosley ranch she jumped in his Ford as he opened the door

She sure did, and wanted to go too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Quote from: "47wood"Highly recommend you find a trainer that offers Puppy Kindergarten and enroll you and her.

I have never even heard of an obedience school around here.

I have trained Foxhounds and Pointers so the obedience part won't be too hard. Housebreaking is another story. We had a housedog back when we first got married, but when we got it it was about 4 yrs old and already housebroke.

My family never let dogs in the house, but my Wife had several housedogs as she grew up. I think i'll let her be in charge of this one.

Before you get carried away with that shotgun....look out the door and see what he's driving :P By the time this one is ready to date...her two older sisters will have you softened up!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

58Apache

Agree with 40 on both counts!

You seen that commercial on the boys that come to pick up the daughter and have food with them? The scroungy dude gets to take the daughter out because he has the right brand of fast food .....

....would be MUCH more believable and real IF it was cars instead of food :)

....wouldn't you feel better about a guy that picked your daughter up in a rod than a rice burner?

Steve

SKR8PN

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "47wood"Highly recommend you find a trainer that offers Puppy Kindergarten and enroll you and her.

I have never even heard of an obedience school around here.

I have trained Foxhounds and Pointers so the obedience part won't be too hard. Housebreaking is another story. We had a housedog back when we first got married, but when we got it it was about 4 yrs old and already housebroke.

My family never let dogs in the house, but my Wife had several housedogs as she grew up. I think i'll let her be in charge of this one.

I will second what 47 suggested,whole-heartedly! Any obedience/house breaking problems you may have now,CAN be fixed.  First thing I would recommend,is you get a PROPER SIZE kennel crate for the dog, and LEARN how to use it PROPERLY! Willy and I just brought this little bundle of joy into our pack on Saturday evening,and we began the house breaking as soon as she hit the door. Ginger is only 6 weeks old,and SO far,not one accident to report!  HOWEVER,our sleep deprivation is at an all time high :roll:  :lol:
Sean,if you have ANY questions on the house breaking thing,please feel free to e-mail me and I will try to help you as best I can.
The lady that taught Willy and I about obedience training,had a saying that comes to mind and is very true.
"Every trainer gets the dog they deserve"
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Sean

So far the only problem we are having is getting her to leave the Cat alone. The people we got her from already taught her "No", and started her on the housebreaking. I had always heard that Boxers were stupid, but she seems to be fairly intelligent.

Jimc

Quote from: "Sean"So far the only problem we are having is getting her to leave the Cat alone. The people we got her from already taught her "No", and started her on the housebreaking. I had always heard that Boxers were stupid, but she seems to be fairly intelligent.

While it is true that some breeeds are deemed more intelligent than others, any one dog of any breed can be more intelligent than others of the same breed, or vice versa.

I have found that all of our "other" family members respond to positive reinforcement.
In other words, reward with treats and praise for wanted actions.
merely chastize in a negative tone of voice for unwanted actions.

The obedience schools may be a good thing, I have never gone with a dog.
I did go with my sister and a dog of hers.

I  developed the perception they were training Kay to train her dog.

At any rate, just enjoy the companionship. It is good she wants to go with you, but be careful that she does not become more attached to you than the daughters.
I am attaching a photo of Gizmo, who also likes to ride, but does not want to hang out in the garage.
She perfers the comforts of home. And HRLC cookies!

Jim

SKR8PN

Quote from: "Jimc"
Quote from: "Sean"So far the only problem we are having is getting her to leave the Cat alone. The people we got her from already taught her "No", and started her on the housebreaking. I had always heard that Boxers were stupid, but she seems to be fairly intelligent.

While it is true that some breeeds are deemed more intelligent than others, any one dog of any breed can be more intelligent than others of the same breed, or vice versa.

I have found that all of our "other" family members respond to positive reinforcement.
In other words, reward with treats and praise for wanted actions.
merely chastize in a negative tone of voice for unwanted actions.

The obedience schools may be a good thing, I have never gone with a dog.
I did go with my sister and a dog of hers.

I  developed the perception they were training Kay to train her dog.

At any rate, just enjoy the companionship. It is good she wants to go with you, but be careful that she does not become more attached to you than the daughters.
I am attaching a photo of Gizmo, who also likes to ride, but does not want to hang out in the garage.
She perfers the comforts of home. And HRLC cookies!

Jim

JimC hit the nail square on the head as far as breeds go. On Gingers 1st trip to the Vet this morning,I learned a lot about the pup,and her possible future attitude. He showed me a couple of little "tests" that you can do with a pup to find out just how trainable and also how hard headed they are going to have a tendancy to be.When we first met Ginger and her mother,we were going to leave Ginger with the litter as long as we could,to help socialize her as much as possible. BUT,After seeing how the mother acted towards us, we decided it would be a good idea to pull Ginger as soon as she was weened. Mom had a bad attitude towards strangers that I will NOT tolerate,and we decided to not allow mom the chance to imprint THAT attitude into Ginger.When we picked Ginger up Saturday afternoon,her mother just reinforced those feelings.
As for the obedience school,the whole idea is to teach YOU how to train your pup, and to socialize it as well. Willy and I are more than capable of teaching this pup everything we want her to learn,but we are still searching for an obedience class,and are going to enroll Ginger,as soon as she is ready,more for the socializing and the distractions than the obedience portion. One important thing to remember,you are teaching this dog every minute you spend with it. It is a lot easier to do it right,than to have to go back and RETRAIN it, to correct mistakes you already made.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Sean

Her Mom and Pop were both there when we picked her up. They did the usual barking and bluffing, but once you let them smell you, they were friendly as can be. Worst problem we see with her is that she dribbles on the floor when she gets excited. The housebreaking seems to be going pretty well, but I don't know what to do about the dribbling. Hopefully she grows out of it.

Daisy had been sold to a couple in St. Louis that had started training her, but ended up bringing her back to the breeder because her muzzle is too long. The rest of the litter all looked like a-typical Boxers. Daisy has all the right markings, and even has the underbite, but her muzzle is longer than the rest of the litter. The breeder figures it was some kind of recessive gene, or something.

Doesn't make any difference to us, we just wanted a pet, and since he couldn't sell her we got her for free. I don't think we'll even bother with getting her ears cut.

Jimc

Not Getting her ears cut will suit Daisy just fine.
She will never comnplain.
As far as the dribbling is concerned, it should go away as soon as she adjusts to her new environment.
I would suggest that when she does dribble that the family scold her in a manner that whe learns that she has done something not pleasing.
When she does go outside, then praise her as a family to let her know she has met with your approval.
In the off chance that the dribbling continues for longer than a few days to a week, then mAYbe a trip would be in order.

Jim