IFS-Pinched Frame Radiator Mounting

Started by seadog, May 16, 2005, 11:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

First, thanks for the input on my recent question on guages.  Folks on this board are really helpful without a lot of drama.  

I'm building a Duece 5 window with a Kugel independent front end, the highboy open wheel model.  Since the frame is pinched to accomodiate the suspension it appears to me that the radiator will have to be mounted in front of the Kugel crossmember.  Right?  How's the best way to mount the radiator/shell.  The radiator in question is a Walker Cobra, Z series.  Any photos of this type installation will be appreciated as will advice from anyone who's done this before.  
Thanks.

Bib_Overalls

My roadster (SoCal frame) has a pinch that brings the rails to the edge of the grille shell.  When I went to mount the radiator I found the mounting bolts and the bottom of the grille shell were competing for the same space.  My solution was rather elaborate and I won't go into it here.  However, I did wind up modifying my aluminum AFCO radiator.

Before you make any modifications to your Walker radiator give Jerry Kugle a call.  He may have a recommendation. And it is possible Walker or another vendor makes a radiator specifically adapted to work with the Kugle crosmember.

Pushing the radiator forward does not seem right.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

seadog

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"
Before you make any modifications to your Walker radiator give Jerry Kugle a call.  He may have a recommendation. And it is possible Walker or another vendor makes a radiator specifically adapted to work with the Kugle crosmember.quote]

Bib, Thanks.  I called Kugel and they were helpful.  Talked to Vernon Walker, Jr today as well and I think I have a solution.  Thanks.

-Tom