Quick Paint question

Started by purplepickup, March 22, 2004, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

A friend just painted a Harley with the original color.  The dealer gave him acrylic lacquer paint which Harley still stocks.  He wonders if he can use two part urethane clearcoat over it.  I told him that he could but then I thought I'd ask here just in case there are some situations when they aren't compatable.  I'd hate to have him come over with a wrinkled fender and wrap it around my head. :shock:
George

tom36

Usually, (key word"usually") you can do this.  BUT, some companies products aren't compatable with others.  Best bet is to spray a test panel and see if there is any reaction.  Tom..

purplepickup

Thanks, You reaffirmed what I told him.  He didn't spray a test panel but I told him he should, just to cover his butt, since he's putting PPG urethane over HD paint and who knows what brand that really is.
George

unklian

When in doubt,you can dust the first 2 or 3 coats of clear on real dry.
Let them flash off,then hit it with your wet coats.
That is how alot of guys are able to clear over uncatalized 1-Shot.

Dave

Quote from: "unklian"When in doubt,you can dust the first 2 or 3 coats of clear on real dry.
Let them flash off,then hit it with your wet coats.
That is how alot of guys are able to clear over uncatalized 1-Shot.

The striper that did my 34 said you can also add a little hardner to 1 shot then clear over it.. He knows the ratio and says it works fine..
Dave

Roadstar

You won't have any problems using the ppg urathane clear over the HD lacquer base coat. We do it often at my shop.
Although I don't recomend spraying the urathane dry. Just apply it as you would over any other base coat.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Roadstar"You won't have any problems using the ppg urathane clear over the HD lacquer base coat. We do it often at my shop.

Thanks Rudy.  I'll tell him.
George

Jdee

Make sure the lacquer is real dry!
Or it will not work.
Lacquer dries from the top down so it might seem dry
But still has solvent in the lower layers this will gas out and delaminate
the Uro topcoat, But if its good and dry it will work just fine.
Jdee

purplepickup

Quote from: "Jdee"Make sure the lacquer is real dry!
Or it will not work.
Lacquer dries from the top down so it might seem dry
But still has solvent in the lower layers this will gas out and delaminate
the Uro topcoat, But if its good and dry it will work just fine.
Jdee

Shot the urethane clear on it last night, 2 days after spraying the lacquer, and it came out perfect.  Thanks again
:b-d:
George