Teardrop

Started by Leon, May 01, 2005, 01:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

About two weeks ago I started on the teardrop that I've been wanting to build for a few years.  I got tires today from the Bakersfield show and was able to roll it out of the shop for the first time so I could get rid of the huge pile of sawdust that has been growing under it.  Still have quite a bit of work to go, but I feel like I've made progress.

phat46

Hey that looks good with the WWW's on it.  and good progress for only two weeks. What are the dimensions of it, I've drawn up plans for one and wondered if I was in the ballpark on size.

Charlie Chops 1940

Looking pretty good Leon. Looks to be 5X10 from the amount of furnishings in your galley...

Hotrodpurplepickup is in the beginnings of a teardrop build and I bought one a couple months ago and have refurbed some of it. About ready to put some KIT fenders on and try it out. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

looks dang good for 2 weeks of work.

your own design or kit plans or ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Sean

Those things are pretty cool, but is there enough room for a 6'3" person to lay down in it?

Leon

Quote from: "phat46"What are the dimensions of it, I've drawn up plans for one and wondered if I was in the ballpark on size.

It's 57" by 10' without the trim, hitch, and fenders.

Quote from: "Crosley"your own design or kit plans or ?

A while back I got a set of plans that I ended up modifying to the point that I just about designed by myself.

Quote from: "Sean"Those things are pretty cool, but is there enough room for a 6'3" person to lay down in it?

I designed mine to take a 74" mattress in it.  I have enough room to put a thin cabinet in the front so if that was deleted a taller person could stretch out with no problem.  Without the cabinet in front it is 79" in the sleeping area.  In the kitchen it is about 40" from the dividing wall to the rear of the trailer.

I got the fenders clamped on it this evening so I could lay out the door and they look real nice with the white walls.  The fenders are Ken-Skill style and look nice on a longer trailer.  The top will get covered in a black vinyl material like used on pickup tonneau covers, the sides are birch with oak trim, and the fenders will be black.  most of the metal hardware will be brass.

alchevy

You can order a set of plans from Speedway for $19...don't know how they compare to your redesigned plans. I thought about building one myself. I have the original front end and the original rear end from my '40 Chevy and have always said that one of those would make a start to a trailer of some kind. The rear end has the enclosed tube still attached. I even have 4 wide whitewalls that were on the car when I got it that are almost new.

My cousin that lives in Georgia has an original teardrop trailer.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Leon

Quote from: "40chevy"I have the original front end and the original rear end from my '40 Chevy and have always said that one of those would make a start to a trailer of some kind. The rear end has the enclosed tube still attached.  

I have the axle from a 58 Field & Stream that I used a couple parts and title, and the axle was the wrong size and so heavy that it was easier to build a new one to fit the trailer.  The axles from your '40 would be quite heavy and require enough work to make them fit that it might be easier to start from scratch.  Another reason that I built a new axle is because the new hubs use bearings that I can get anywhere.  The old hubs I would have to order them for it.  Not something I want to do if I'm going cross country.  I guess I could carry a spare, but the new hub's bearings are a lot cheaper so that's easier with the new hubs also.

1FATGMC

It is pretty easy to find an axle out there cheap that will give you 57" interior room.  I'm using a 2000 lb. one under my tear that was about $130 and bearings are easy to find and take with you.

c ya, Sum

My Teardrop Pages