Hey Skip! Alternator question...

Started by 32 Chevy, May 03, 2005, 12:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

I pulled the 78 302 out of the 56 Ranchwagon, and am now in the process of installing a 5.0 H.O. The EFI harness and stuff is actually coming together pretty well, but I have a question about the alternator change.

The early ( 78 ) alternator had an external regulator with 4 inputs, marked I A S F plus the big battery terminal with fusable link that went directly to the battery via the start regulator terminal. No problem, because the alternator outputs were marked to match the regulator.

The 86 alternator has 2 plugs; one has three terminals marked A S I.
The second plug has two terminals marked BAT and STA.

So how do I make the newer version alternator work in the system? This is probably one of those things that when explained seems ridiculously simple, but i'm prepared to feel dumb....

Thanks!

And by the way, your suggestion to use the Centech package was great. I used Centech in both my 32 chev and 56 fors, both were trouble free, easy installations. And Centech has great customer service when I did have a questions.

Dave R.

parklane

Dave
    What are you using for a wiring harness for the EFI?? I've thought about going that route, but the cost of the harness is scarey, and I know just enough about EFI to know that I don't know anything about it!! :?  :?  :wink:  You can PM me or answer here.

Thanks
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

32 Chevy

Quote from: "parklane"Dave
    What are you using for a wiring harness for the EFI?? I've thought about going that route, but the cost of the harness is scarey, and I know just enough about EFI to know that I don't know anything about it!! :?  :?  :wink:  You can PM me or answer here.

Thanks
John

John,

After a LOT of digging, I found that the 91 T bird H.O. is a Mass Air unit that has a stand alone harness that is remarkably easy to adapt to a non computerized car. The thing that is taking the longest on the conversion isnt the harness, which is almost a plug and play, but figuring out where to locate stuff and fabricating brackets, etc.  For example I spent 2 1/2 hours last night making a bracket to mount the gas linkage cable to the throttle body, and now I staill have to make a longer cable and mount for the AOD control .

The 90-91 T bird shares the same upper manifold as the 94-95 Mustang and has a 45 degree twist where the Throttle Body attaches to the manifold; This seems to fit a lot easier in 50's/ 60's  vintage car , too. But the Later Mustang version has more computerized stuff in the car itself which has to talk to the computer, making a more difficult installation.

So' I'm definitely not an expert yet about the EFI stuff, but now I know just enough to be able to B.S. folks who know less than I do... Which is just enough to be dangerous... And I don't have my car running yet so I might still be calling for help.....

Dave