My C4 doesn't shift

Started by btrc, May 07, 2005, 08:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrc

A couple of months ago I bought a 63 Comet that someone had put a C4 trans in.  The problem is that it doesn't shift.  You put it in the D position and it is in 3rd, always.  If you start with the shift lever in 1st you've got 1st and you can move it up and get 2nd and then move it and it's got 3rd.  It's just like a manual control body but I can't imagine anyone would put one in this car as it's certainly not a race car, at least not yet.  They never hooked up any kind of kickdown linkage and in fact the lever on the side of the trans doesn't seem to be connected to anything inside.  It seems to rotate freely.
 Any thoughts on what is wrong with this thing?  Next winter I'm either going to switch it to a 5-speed or have the trans gone through but in the mean time I want to mess around with the engine, install headers, etc. but it's not much fun driving in 3rd always and too scary shifting the column shifter.

Thanks, Bob
Bob

Crosley.In.AZ

is there vacuum hooked to the modulator?  Check for vacuum at the modulator.

Does tranny fluid run out of the modulator where the vacuum hose hooks?

Is there a modulator?  At the rear of the trans, near pan rail on passenger side/rear

Governor could be stuck.

THe detent lever should not roate fully around.  This could indicate that some one modified the v-body.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

btrc

I finally was able to get out in the shop and take a look.  Someone must have messed witht he valve body then because you can rotate the kickdown  lever all the way around and it freely comes out as far as the tunnel will allow it.  It just isn't connected to anything.  
 I do have a modulator and it does have vacumn to it.
Bob