Daily driver question

Started by purplepickup, April 15, 2005, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I bought my mom's old hot rod a couple years ago when she bought a new Camry.  It's a '95 Buick LeSabre 3.8 and it's just developed a small problem.  Sometimes on a cold start it goes on a high idle and doesn't come off it until I shut the engine off and restart it.  It doesn't do it everytime it starts cold but everytime it does it a quick restart fixes it.  Otherwise it runs great.  I have a feeling it's a sensor or something but I don't know squat about electronic engines.  Any ideas :?:

I just got back from a B double E double R UN, and it did it.  I was rolling and just clicked the key off and back on and it was normal again.
George

58 Yeoman

I usually take my cars to Autozone and let them put it on their scanner.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crafty

have a look at the intake, right from air filter box to the throttle flap, somewhere along the line I expect you'll find a pipe that comes off before the throttle flap, goes into a valve of sorts and then exits the valve and goes back into the intake system ( probably into the plenum ). The valve in the middle of the pipe is what lets air into the engine when the throttle flap is closed ( i.e. you aren't on the gas pedal ), these things jam up and stick, letting too much air into the engine (high revs ) or not enough ( stalls at junctions etc ), you can usually take them off and clean em out with carb cleaner.
Can't be sure as I don't know the engine/car but its common on cars here of that age...

Leon

I had an Idle Air solenoid do that but I got a computer code telling what it was.  Usually there are two pins on the computer connection under the dash that when connected, will flash the check engine light to show any stored codes.

purplepickup

Well, I figured I at least owe you guys a thank you for offering your help.  Since a flick of the key made it all better, I've just been driving it and haven't taken the time to check very much.  That's my normal ambition level.  Lately the key flick fix was becoming a little less effective so tonight when I got home from work I popped the hood and started out checking all the vacuum lines because it acted like a vacuum leak to me.  On the second time around I found a cracked one.  I replaced it and I'm back to normal. 8)

Now I can drive slow again....like old men in Buicks are supposed to do.  Gotta remember to leave the turn signal on tho.  The darn thing shuts itself off automatically.  I'm gonna have to fix that. :?

George

DRD57

Quote from: "purplepickup"Now I can drive slow again....like old men in Buicks are supposed to do.  Gotta remember to leave the turn signal on tho.  The darn thing shuts itself off automatically.  I'm gonna have to fix that. :?

Leave one of the seatbelts hanging out the door so the metal end can make sparks on the pavement too.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'm back to normal. 8)

I think that remains to be seen

:arrow: ........ :wink: . :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "purplepickup"I'm back to normal. 8)

I think that remains to be seen

:arrow: ........ :wink: . :wink:
Look who's talkin' :lol:
George

Carps

Just depends on what you consider 'normal'   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

enjenjo

For both these guys, "normal" is a flexible term. Mainstream "normal" is a state they fleetingly occupy on the way from one extreme to the other.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dolly

What Carps considerss normal, hiss shrink calls extremely abnormal.

So who is right?   :?
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Crosley.In.AZ

flexable is a good term for being normal.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)