CRUISE CONTROLS REVISITED AND A NEW SEAT FOR THE F1

Started by 348tripower, April 18, 2005, 05:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

A while back we were on the subject of cruise controls and I was in the process of installing the Audiovox CCS100 unit in my truck. I was running copper core plug wires. This caused some major electrical noise under the hood causing the unit to get some bad readings. I switched to suppression wires and the unit worked sporadically.  I called Audivox tech numerous times  . They were as helpful as they could be in this street rod applicaion. The last Tech I talked to was a real dork, telling me this unit would not work at all in this application. So, me being a non believer  in that  and with a 100 buck investment, I went to searching the internet. I found a site that a guy posted his attempts to hook the unit up on a Mazda Miata. He said in the end he had to toss the book and change his PPM setting to 8000. Audiovox had told me 5000. So I changed to 8000ppm and down the road I went. This thing works great. I am hooked to the HEI distributor tach terminal for my signal and set at 8000ppm.  Thats all it took.    

Now for the seat in the F1. I went to searching the junk yard for a S10 or Ranger or something seat. The old Ranger bench seat are kind of bland, altho I found a few. The newer ones had headrests that were fixed and I didn't want them sticking up in the back window. The S10 seats I looked at were all newer style high back 60/40, too tall also. The last truck I stumbled across was a older Dodge Dakota. I looked inside and found a very nice 60/40 bench seat with head rests that could be removed. 75 bucks and 1/2 hour later and I was off to install this beauty. Its now in, looks good and sits great. I'll post a picture later.    
Don :lol:
Don Colliau

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "348tripower"A while back we were on the subject of cruise controls and I was in the process of installing the Audiovox CCS100 unit in my truck. I was running copper core plug wires. This caused some major electrical noise under the hood causing the unit to get some bad readings. I switched to suppression wires and the unit worked sporadically.  I called Audivox tech numerous times  . They were as helpful as they could be in this street rod applicaion. The last Tech I talked to was a real dork, telling me this unit would not work at all in this application. So, me being a non believer  in that  and with a 100 buck investment, I went to searching the internet. I found a site that a guy posted his attempts to hook the unit up on a Mazda Miata. He said in the end he had to toss the book and change his PPM setting to 8000. Audiovox had told me 5000. So I changed to 8000ppm and down the road I went. This thing works great. I am hooked to the HEI distributor tach terminal for my signal and set at 8000ppm.  Thats all it took.    

Now for the seat in the F1. I went to searching the junk yard for a S10 or Ranger or something seat. The old Ranger bench seat are kind of bland, altho I found a few. The newer ones had headrests that were fixed and I didn't want them sticking up in the back window. The S10 seats I looked at were all newer style high back 60/40, too tall also. The last truck I stumbled across was a older Dodge Dakota. I looked inside and found a very nice 60/40 bench seat with head rests that could be removed. 75 bucks and 1/2 hour later and I was off to install this beauty. Its now in, looks good and sits great. I'll post a picture later.    
Don :lol:

I put out an add to purchase a bench seat for my 50 f1 from small truck and got a call from a person that had the back seat out of an astro van and it was the perfect width and price free and new condition was a snap to install let us know how yours works out
Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Carps

Check out the new Lexus GS rangewith the raday cruise option, once you've tried it,, you'll never want a 'normal' cruise system again.

I'm already trying to figure how to fit the radar unit behind the grille, which is probably the easy bit.  The computer controlled, 'drive by wire' braking and engine systems are probably gunna be a tad tougher to adapt.  But the good news is, someone will figure it out sooner or later.   :wink:

Then we can adapt the electronic steering and other cool bits.  Actually the steeringg rack would not be hard to adapt, just the steer by wire & VDIM technology.  The unit is all self contained, no hydraulic fluid required and fluid hoses, pump etc.

New cars really do include some neato hot roddin' stuff.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

tomslik

Quote from: "Carps"Check out the new Lexus GS rangewith the raday cruise option, once you've tried it,, you'll never want a 'normal' cruise system again.

I'm already trying to figure how to fit the radar unit behind the grille, which is probably the easy bit.  The computer controlled, 'drive by wire' braking and engine systems are probably gunna be a tad tougher to adapt.  But the good news is, someone will figure it out sooner or later.   :wink:

Then we can adapt the electronic steering and other cool bits.  Actually the steeringg rack would not be hard to adapt, just the steer by wire & VDIM technology.  The unit is all self contained, no hydraulic fluid required and fluid hoses, pump etc.

New cars really do include some neato hot roddin' stuff.

hey carps, what happens if a fuse blows or a wire breaks?
what's the default?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Carps

Quote from: "tomslik"hey carps, what happens if a fuse blows or a wire breaks?
Same as would happen with any 'normal' system, you have to revert to driving the car the old fashioned way.

Quotewhat's the default?
The car defaults to the driver, however it's highly unlikely that this would happen under normal operating conditions.
Carps

Dolly

I have always found it quite strange that people who would step on board an aeroplane without question, are worried that similar technology when used in an automobile, might somehow blow a fuse and cease to function correctly.   :?
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

tomslik

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "tomslik"hey carps, what happens if a fuse blows or a wire breaks?
Same as would happen with any 'normal' system, you have to revert to driving the car the old fashioned way.

Quotewhat's the default?
The car defaults to the driver, however it's highly unlikely that this would happen under normal operating conditions.

sorry if i wasn't too clear, what i was referring to was "drive by wire steering and throttle" stuff.
something about not haveing a mechanical link from the sterring wheel to the rack/box bothjers me...

Carps

Quote from: "tomslik"sorry if i wasn't too clear, what i was referring to was "drive by wire steering and throttle" stuff.  something about not haveing a mechanical link from the sterring wheel to the rack/box bothjers me...

All the systems have a failsafe or mechanical backup, just like they do in aeroplanes.  

And we all should understand that those systems are far from failsafe.  How many times have  we heard or experienced a mechanical failure in steering and throttle systems or automotive mechanical systems?
Carps

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"sorry if i wasn't too clear, what i was referring to was "drive by wire steering and throttle" stuff.  something about not haveing a mechanical link from the sterring wheel to the rack/box bothjers me...

All the systems have a failsafe or mechanical backup, just like they do in aeroplanes.  

And we all should understand that those systems are far from failsafe.  How many times have  we heard or experienced a mechanical failure in steering and throttle systems or automotive mechanical systems?

carps, i don't fly in anything bigger than a 4 seater if i can help it;)

reason i ask what the backup for the steering is, is that someday i'll HAVE to work on it.
it don't worry me, i just wanna know how it works. :roll:

by the way, if you have a mechanical backup for the steering,what's the point of the drive-by-wire stuff?

the throttle ,i suppose would just go to idle,right?

Carps

Quote from: "tomslik"by the way, if you have a mechanical backup for the steering,what's the point of the drive-by-wire stuff?
Now that's a good question.  

First up, the mechanical connection is active when the ignition is turned off so that the car can be rolled or moved around without the steering being active.

As far as the piont of drive by wire goes, that's elementary.  VDIM means Vehicle Integrated Dynamics Management.  A 'normal' stability control system uses the wheel brakes to anchor a sliding vehicle and bring it back close to the original and or correct (safe) line.  When it starts to slide, the car rotates around the yaw axis, correcting the slide with steering input, the good driver is able to keep the car tracing or get it to rotate back to the correct line also around the yaw axis.  Because the wheels are located at the corners of the car, using one as an anchor and rotating the car on this as an axis, moves the car away from it's original line and requires a much more aggressive electronic control of the cars systems.  using the steering it's alsmost seamless.

In addition, the electronic steering may provide some assistance to the driver before the car beraks loose by detecting incresed front wheel scrub because there's too much angle on the steering and gentyly pushing the wheel in the drivers hands in the direction required to control and reduce the chances of losing front or rear wheel grip.

It works.  A car with regular stability control will start to slide at a much lower speed compared to one with VDIM, and when the 'normal' system is activated the car litterally stops as the throttle valve is also closed to take out tourque at the driving wheels.  VDIM allows the driver to continue at speed, with the car under full control.

EPS also provides other useful functions from being linked to the parking sonar and steering the car away from obstacles, linked with electronic brake control it can help ensure there's no more parking lot mishaps.

I'm not sure if the US Prius has this feature but these systems also work with the automatic park system.  With this system, the driver pulls alongside an empty kerbside parking space and presses a button on the dash.  The display screen confirms that the car will fit this space.  The driver moves the car forward until the STOP warning illuminates.  The then let go of the steering wheel and take their foot off the brake pedal, press the 'Park' button and the car executes a perfect three point parking manuovre without any damage to itself or surrounding vehicles.

There's more, but I dunno if you guys are yet ready to know there's a fleet of driverless busses been transporting people around a couple of large cities for nearly two years now.  They operate on regular roads in normal traffic conditions.

[/quote]the throttle ,i suppose would just go to idle,right?[/quote]
Nope, the objective of any backup system is to ensure that the car can be driven home or to somewhere it can be repaired.  If the car cannot be driven safely, other systems will simply shut it down.
Carps

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"by the way, if you have a mechanical backup for the steering,what's the point of the drive-by-wire stuff?
Now that's a good question.  

First up, the mechanical connection is active when the ignition is turned off so that the car can be rolled or moved around without the steering being active.

As far as the piont of drive by wire goes, that's elementary.  VDIM means Vehicle Integrated Dynamics Management.  A 'normal' stability control system uses the wheel brakes to anchor a sliding vehicle and bring it back close to the original and or correct (safe) line.  When it starts to slide, the car rotates around the yaw axis, correcting the slide with steering input, the good driver is able to keep the car tracing or get it to rotate back to the correct line also around the yaw axis.  Because the wheels are located at the corners of the car, using one as an anchor and rotating the car on this as an axis, moves the car away from it's original line and requires a much more aggressive electronic control of the cars systems.  using the steering it's alsmost seamless.

In addition, the electronic steering may provide some assistance to the driver before the car beraks loose by detecting incresed front wheel scrub because there's too much angle on the steering and gentyly pushing the wheel in the drivers hands in the direction required to control and reduce the chances of losing front or rear wheel grip.

so, it's kinda like traction control..

It works.  A car with regular stability control will start to slide at a much lower speed compared to one with VDIM, and when the 'normal' system is activated the car litterally stops as the throttle valve is also closed to take out tourque at the driving wheels.  VDIM allows the driver to continue at speed, with the car under full control.

EPS also provides other useful functions from being linked to the parking sonar and steering the car away from obstacles, linked with electronic brake control it can help ensure there's no more parking lot mishaps.

I'm not sure if the US Prius has this feature but these systems also work with the automatic park system.  With this system, the driver pulls alongside an empty kerbside parking space and presses a button on the dash.  The display screen confirms that the car will fit this space.  The driver moves the car forward until the STOP warning illuminates.  The then let go of the steering wheel and take their foot off the brake pedal, press the 'Park' button and the car executes a perfect three point parking manuovre without any damage to itself or surrounding vehicles.

There's more, but I dunno if you guys are yet ready to know there's a fleet of driverless busses

we got 'em in this area too, they're called RTD buses.
there's somebody sitting there, but they sure as hell cant drive;)

been transporting people around a couple of large cities for nearly two years now.  They operate on regular roads in normal traffic conditions.

the throttle ,i suppose would just go to idle,right?[/quote]
Nope, the objective of any backup system is to ensure that the car can be driven home or to somewhere it can be repaired.  If the car cannot be driven safely, other systems will simply shut it down.[/quote]

Carps

Quote from: "tomslik"so, it's kinda like traction control..

Nope, TRaction Control is a separate system and can be turned off for those times you need to display your ability to shred rubber and smoke the tyres.  Something I'd never do.

VDIM's job is to keep the car on the road, so it measures wheel angle steering input, yaw and oitch rates and tyre slip plus a few other critical items.  Basically it keeps the car going wherever the driver points the steering wheel.  However if the driver adds so much steering angle that there's a lot of front tyre scrub, then the system will 'adjust' everything required to take that scrub off and allow the car to proceed on the correct line.  If the tail steps out and the driver doesn't turn the steering wheel the right way or far enough the right way, the car will do it for them,  whilst adjusting the engine torque etc, to keep the car travelling in the direction it was going in the first place.  At lower speeds, there is almost no snsation that anything 'abnormal' is happening, at higher speeds the driver can sense that the car is 'adjusting' it's own attitude, at insane speeds they system interferes more aggressively as it works to keep the car on the blacktop and under control.

dash.  The display screen confirms that the car will fit this space.  The driver moves the car forward until the STOP warning illuminates.  The then let go of the steering wheel and take their foot off the brake pedal, press the 'Park' button and the car executes a perfect three point parking manuovre without any damage to itself or surrounding vehicles.

Quotewe got 'em in this area too, they're called RTD buses.
Spooky part about our busses is there's nobody sitting there and the things are not on rails of connected by cables etc.  They just slide in and out of the traffic, probably better and with less fuss than the busses you have.
Carps

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"so, it's kinda like traction control..

Nope, TRaction Control is a separate system and can be turned off for those times you need to display your ability to shred rubber and smoke the tyres.  Something I'd never do.

VDIM's job is to keep the car on the road, so it measures wheel angle steering input, yaw and oitch rates and tyre slip plus a few other critical items.  Basically it keeps the car going wherever the driver points the steering wheel.  However if the driver adds so much steering angle that there's a lot of front tyre scrub, then the system will 'adjust' everything required to take that scrub off and allow the car to proceed on the correct line.  If the tail steps out and the driver doesn't turn the steering wheel the right way or far enough the right way, the car will do it for them,  whilst adjusting the engine torque etc, to keep the car travelling in the direction it was going in the first place.  At lower speeds, there is almost no snsation that anything 'abnormal' is happening, at higher speeds the driver can sense that the car is 'adjusting' it's own attitude, at insane speeds they system interferes more aggressively as it works to keep the car on the blacktop and under control.

like i said, like traction control.
ya get too heavy footed and it'll(at least to ones i've drove)push your foot back.

curious, what's it like on ice?
can a guy do donuts?

dash.  The display screen confirms that the car will fit this space.  The driver moves the car forward until the STOP warning illuminates.  The then let go of the steering wheel and take their foot off the brake pedal, press the 'Park' button and the car executes a perfect three point parking manuovre without any damage to itself or surrounding vehicles.

Quotewe got 'em in this area too, they're called RTD buses.
Spooky part about our busses is there's nobody sitting there and the things are not on rails of connected by cables etc.  They just slide in and out of the traffic, probably better and with less fuss than the busses you have.

carps, we gotta work on your sense of humor :roll:

Carps

Quote from: "tomslik"carps, we gotta work on your sense of humor :roll:

My sense of humour is OK, just not workin' the way it should this week.

Besides, if you learned to speak 'Strine' then I'd be able to understand you better.   :wink:
Carps

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"carps, we gotta work on your sense of humor :roll:

My sense of humour is OK, just not workin' the way it should this week.

Besides, if you learned to speak 'Strine' then I'd be able to understand you better.   :wink:

i think spanish might be more useful...
so far i've got "taco" and "cervesa" down   ;)