Any 34 chevy Owners

Started by yngrodder, April 20, 2005, 01:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yngrodder

I just bought a 34 chevy 2 door sedan Master. I have never owned a chevy older than 59 and I don't know to much about them I have always been into 30-32 fords and this is a new step for me. Im building this car on a budget so Im going to try to get as much as  I can from the junk yards and parts cars like my dad used to do in the 70s and 80s.
What all will interchange with this body style (33 34 35) ?
What rear leaf springs will work under it?
What power windows are the best to try to use?
what should I use for windshield wipers? I was told VW?

yngrodder

Im trying to post a picture

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "yngrodder"I just bought a 34 chevy 2 door sedan Master. I have never owned a chevy older than 59 and I don't know to much about them I have always been into 30-32 fords and this is a new step for me. Im building this car on a budget so Im going to try to get as much as  I can from the junk yards and parts cars like my dad used to do in the 70s and 80s.
What all will interchange with this body style (33 34 35) ?
What rear leaf springs will work under it?
What power windows are the best to try to use?
what should I use for windshield wipers? I was told VW?

In order;
* nothing much, '34 master would be a one-year body style
* the back springs are very stiff, narrow, and very long.  The other problem is the front 'half' of the spring is long; therefore, if you soften them by removing leaves you will get excessive axle wind-up.  Best to get rid of them for a modern style SE leaf spring where the front 'half' is about 1/3.  I expect there would be many options out there.  
* not sure about the power windows.  
* look in various Leyland products for their Bowditch cable drive systems.

yngrodder

In order;
* nothing much, '34 master would be a one-year body style
* the back springs are very stiff, narrow, and very long.  The other problem is the front 'half' of the spring is long; therefore, if you soften them by removing leaves you will get excessive axle wind-up.  Best to get rid of them for a modern style SE leaf spring where the front 'half' is about 1/3.  I expect there would be many options out there.  
* not sure about the power windows.  
* look in various Leyland products for their Bowditch cable drive systems.[/quote]

Thanks, I was looking at a pair of front springs That are on mail jeeps.
There shorter than the stock spring and are pretty flat so maybe it will set the rear end on the ground.

Mr34

Hi yngrodder,
I am 29 too and i have the remnants of a 34 chev standard sedan.
Standards are shorter than Masters. there is 2 inches in the front doors, two inches in the rear section behind the rear doors but the rear doors are the same. the bonnet is two inches longer also.
The grille shell is an inch higher than a standard in a master.
I know you have a tudor not a sedan but that just explains some of the differences.
The longer car dictates why they have a different chassis that standards.

THe 34 master had the new fangled front trailing arm suspension, it was quite ok. Previous to that they had twin parrallel leaf springs i believe.
There are some mods you can do to that suspension to get it lower, and it works fine, depending on what you are going to use it for.

A friend of mine is nearing completion of a Master 34 roadster, he has a hotted up chev 6 in it with finned alloy everywhere. looks awesome. i have no pics of it yet though.

Im not sure what its like over there but parts here is Aus are scarce. i can go to a swap and find nothing.

Is your body steeled out? the 34s had wood in the body that usually needs replacing. i havent even started that yet!
Im using an Aus holden front end and a nine inch rear end with 3 link and panhard suspension.

Pm me with any questions, i dont know that much but i know ppl i can ask and probably get you an answer.

enjenjo

Jeep front springs may be a bit stiff. I would look at rear springs from a Ford Courier, or maybe a Datsun pickup. Of course the simplest way would be to use the stock springs, and dearch them a bit to lower it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.