Ford 9" bearings

Started by phat46, March 05, 2004, 05:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I need to replace an outer (wheel) bearing on a nine incher. Is this something that i can do at home with hand tools? I can take it to a local driveline shop but i'd just as soon spend the money on something else if i can do it here. I don't see how i can get the "keeper" off the axle behind the bearing and i don't want to damage anything because this is an axle that i had shortened by Moser. TIA

enjenjo

You should have had Moser install new wheel bearings too, they are more than reasonable on wheel bearings.

You need a good sized press to remove the bearing, and a bearing splitter, a fixture for holding the bearing in the press. You can split the collar with a chisel to remove it, a new one usually comes with the new bearing. The press is also needed to install the new bearing and collar. I have a 20 ton press, and it's all it can do to remove Ford wheel bearings. I have had bearing explode while removing them, and scatter shrapnel all over the shop.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Frank, does the old trick of heating bearings in oil (to expand them) work on axle bearings?  
....If so, do you think it would work on the collar as well?

Must the installation be done cold to prevent damage to the seal?

Thanks in advance for furthering my education!
:b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

To be honest Bruce, I have never tried it. I will say that Ford axle bearings are a really tight fit.

Years ago, before I had the right tools, I would remove bearings by cutting them with a torch. You have to be good to cut the bearing without cutting the axle too. Of course, Grandpa taught me to cut the nuts off of bolt without damaging the treads on the bolt, before I was old enough to drive. Then I would install the new bearing with a bottle jack, a pipe, and a channel iron frame.  It worked most of the time, but I wouldn't reccomend it. :lol:

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks, Frank!

I almost had (for free) an electrical induction heater used to heat bearings to expand them.  ....At the last minute, the company decided to keep it and ship it to another branch.  ....Oh, well!

They used it to heat (expand) bearings before installing them on electric motor or pump shafts.  ....Supposedly, this was preferable to cold pressing bearings with interference fits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Leon

You can carefully grind the collar down then split it with a chisel, then the bearing will come off reasonably easily.  You should use a press to put the new colar on, I heat them to a couple hundred degrees in an oven to make them go on easier.  Get a piece of pipe that will fit over the axle so you press evenly on the collar.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"You should have had Moser install new wheel bearings too, they are more than reasonable on wheel bearings.

Yeah, had i known I needed a bearing at that time i would have had them do it.
I don't think i even want to try this at home, maybe if it were a standard axle I'd give it a shot. I'll run this one out to the local driveline shop and let them do it, it's only money, right!?

enjenjo

QuoteI'll run this one out to the local driveline shop and let them do it, it's only money, right!?

Sounds like a good idea. FWIW, the last bearings Moser installed for me, parts and labor were cheaper than I can get a bearing locally at discount price.