4L60 with serious problem

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 12, 2004, 12:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

that's the kind of thing that could ruin your whole day, if you are paying for it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "enjenjo"that's the kind of thing that could ruin your whole day, if you are paying for it.

And I think I have a time or two.

purplepickup

It looks like a piece of something got between the shaft and the planetary gears.

Judging from your pictures, you get to see some real trashed stuff....like the guys on the Myth Busters show.  They like to blow things up too :shock:
George

Sean

I notice that one of the big mail order outfits is selling your trannys now. Are they the same quality as one ordered directly from you guys?

Didn't seem like a bad price for the 700R4's. The guy that built my tranny charges $1200 for a mild performance 700, I think the catalog had yours at around $1500.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "purplepickup"It looks like a piece of something got between the shaft and the planetary gears.

Judging from your pictures, you get to see some real trashed stuff....like the guys on the Myth Busters show.  They like to blow things up too :shock:

============= In my line of work I dont need to attempt to break stuff like the myth buster guys.  They have fun , we have headaches... LOL

-------- I had one of our  sales guys  ask me what it takes to beef up a 700/4L60 tranny to be strong & reliable at the horse power levels customers ask for ie; 600-700 hp motors in front of a 700 tranny.

I listed out the weak areas in a 700 that break as you step up the power. After a few minutes his comment was : " Now I see why we recommend the 4L80E for the high hp stuff".

I should post some photos of the parts that came out from under a Ford Lighting at Firebird raceway as the mechanical diode locked up(siezed). First ....... the rear half of the tranny broke off( case , output shaft, etc) , the drive shaft folded up and bent the diff too.

It was NOT our tranny in the Lighting. The owner has an extended warranty and they bought all the parts.  The mechanical diode is a known problem area

And I thought I broke stuff in a 727 when I spit MOST of the valve body out on Norwalk Raceway Park.......... That Lightening, sounds like it left a mark..................
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.