Mustang II flexible brake line help needed

Started by WZ JUNK, February 29, 2004, 10:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Because of the way that I changed the sway bar on the Mustang II suspension, under my wife's 54 Chevy, the flexible brake line is now to close to the sway bar.  I had lengthened the sway bar stud to get more clearance for the rack under the sway bar.    Are there other brake lines or setups that will help me to get more clearance?  Right now the line comes out of the caliper and goes towards the stud for the sway bar.  I wanted to ask before I change the sway bar again.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Mustang calipers? Lines running to frame in front or to the rear of the suspension? Would a GM line with a banjo fitting help?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"Mustang calipers? Lines running to frame in front or to the rear of the suspension? Would a GM line with a banjo fitting help?

The line runs toward the front and I do not see any easy way to go towards the back but I will look at it some more.  I wondered if the banjo bolt idea would work?  I did not know if there was a banjo bolt the same thread size as the end of the brake line.  

I took out 3/4" of the spacer I had made for the sway bar and now the line clears but I am nearly touching the tie rod with the sway bar when the wheel is turned all of way and the A arm is at the bottom of its travel.  I am going to chain the frame down to my floor pots and jack up the lower arm to see what happens at the other end of the travel.  But I am not going to do anything until I have a good Sunday dinner and maybe a little fainting spell.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

I don't remember how I did it, but the lines ran to the back on my 48 Chevy with no problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dirk35

Ummmm, mine ran to the back also on my 35. Im using stock caliapers.

Oh yeah, I had Napa buld my flex lines outta braided stainless with a short little solid peice(about 1 inch) at each end which I bent to suite my needs. I think it cost $70 for both of them i I remember correctly.

WZ JUNK

I redid my sway bar a little and I think it will all work now.  I might change the sway bar mount some but I am going to wait.  I checked it by chanining the frame to the shop floor and jacking up the A arm to see what happened.  Now the only time I have a problem is when the A arm is all the way down and the wheel is turned to the extreme.   In this situation the tie rod just barely touches the sway bar.   I can not imagine it ever in the situation in normal driving.  I figure if I ever get it into this position I am about to wreck it anyway.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

40_Tudor

I installed a Mustang II cross member under my 40 Ford. I drilled a hole through the frame in front of the cross member where the hose has plenty of room to flex and welded a brake hose mount with clip on the outside of the frame. Too cheep to by the through the frame brake line fittings. I also installed MII sway bare. Brake lines clear every thing. You can do the same or buy the through the frame fittings.

Dirk35

Ill probably never use the thru the frame fittings again. I had a terrible time getting the correct fittings (here in my town) to change over from standard lines I used on the entire truck to the AN (through frame) fittings and back again.

I thought about doing it like 40-tudor did, but thought itd look kinda hokey. But after all the trouble I went through, I think I shouldve gone that route in the first place, and it wouldve saved me the extra $40 for the fittings also.