Talking about Reamers....

Started by 1FATGMC, April 06, 2005, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I just got a reamer from ENCO to ream out the new bushings for my '37-'48 spindle.

I just noticed it is marked on the box as "Adjustable Hand Reamer".

Does that mean I should not put it into my Mill?  If I can use the mill do I use the speed for the same size bit or what speed do you recommend?

It is a 25/32's to 27/32's.

Thanks, Sum

enjenjo

Well, if it was me, I'd do it by hand. You can set everything up on the mill to hold it in place, but I would turn it by hand.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, if it was me, I'd do it by hand. You can set everything up on the mill to hold it in place, but I would turn it by hand.

Thanks Frank that is what I needed to know.

Now how about another question that I know will be easy for a lot of you.

I got a new kingpin/bushing kit a couple years ago from Speedway and of course there were no directions.  I guess every hot rodder has that information in their genes  :roll: .

I'm using it on parts that were already apart, so I can't see how it came apart.

Here is how I think it all goes together.  

The king pin comes down from the top.  Right under the top of it there is a metal seal type boot with a flexible seal under it.  All of that goes down through the top of the spindle.  

Between the top of the spindle and the axle is where you put the shims (this is the part I really wonder about).  

Underneath the the axle goes the bearing.  It can go two ways.  I'm assuming the curved hat type top of the bearing goes up (on the top)?

Then the king pin goes through the bottom part of the spindle.

Hope this is all clear and someone can help me out on it.

Thanks, Sum

unklian

Reamers need to be run much slower than drills of the same size.

I would follow Enjenjo's suggestion.

Dave

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, if it was me, I'd do it by hand. You can set everything up on the mill to hold it in place, but I would turn it by hand.

Thanks Frank that is what I needed to know.

Now how about another question that I know will be easy for a lot of you.

I got a new kingpin/bushing kit a couple years ago from Speedway and of course there were no directions.  I guess every hot rodder has that information in their genes  :roll: .

I'm using it on parts that were already apart, so I can't see how it came apart.

Here is how I think it all goes together.  

The king pin comes down from the top.  Right under the top of it there is a metal seal type boot with a flexible seal under it.  All of that goes down through the top of the spindle.  

Between the top of the spindle and the axle is where you put the shims (this is the part I really wonder about).  

Underneath the the axle goes the bearing.  It can go two ways.  I'm assuming the curved hat type top of the bearing goes up (on the top)?

Then the king pin goes through the bottom part of the spindle.

Hope this is all clear and someone can help me out on it.

Thanks, Sum

I put the shims under the spindle on top of the bearing. That way the shims turn with the bearing. Under works too Humm maybe thats what I did? Ill look .. Everything else you have correct.
Dave :wink:

Carps

Boy, you guys had me worried for a minute.

I thought this would be yet another post about New Zealanders and their fondness for sheep.   :oops:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Dave

Quote from: "Carps"Boy, you guys had me worried for a minute.

I thought this would be yet another post about New Zealanders and their fondness for sheep.   :oops:

:D  :)  :(  :-o  :shock:  :?  8)  :lol:  :x  :P  :oops:  :cry:  :evil:  :twisted:  :roll:  :wink:  :!:  :?:  :idea:  :arrow:
Dave

grazza

N8DC, don't worry about it mate, it's an Aussie thing - something to do with REAMERS.  Carps you are such a naughty boy sometimes :wink:
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

rx4ord

I was with Carps and thought it said Rammers.Sorry!!
When I was young I went hard and fast.Now I\'m old I still go hard, only slower

1FATGMC

Quote from: "N8DC"I put the shims under the spindle on top of the bearing. That way the shims turn with the bearing. Under works too Humm maybe thats what I did? Ill look .. Everything else you have correct.

Don't get distracted with these other guys  :D .  Let me know about where the shims go when you get a chance.

Thanks, Sum

Dave

Quote from: "N8DC"I put the shims under the spindle on top of the bearing. That way the shims turn with the bearing. Under works too Humm maybe thats what I did? Ill look .. Everything else you have correct.

Don't get distracted with these other guys  :D .  Let me know about where the shims go when you get a chance.

Thanks, Sum

Dam forgot to look im on my way out to the garage now..
Dave

Dave

Thanks, Sum

Mine I put under the bearing Sum.. When I got my 32 they didnt put any shims in it and I had to make my own.. Luckily ive got a shim punch set at work so I made different thickness shims and played till I got it where I wanted it.

Carps

Interestingly, few original publications show or even list the shims.  Ford's originaal 1933 Ford maanual recommends replacement of the spindles.

I've seen the shims used directly above the bearing and below it and haven't heard if there's any adverse consequence in that regard.  using them above the axle might cause some binding andd since it's the bearing that carries the load, I'd also figure there's some clearance neeed at the top of the axle to avoid both this and premature wear of the axle and or stub axle.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.