30 Pontiac

Started by Kctom, April 01, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

A little behind on getting the coupe painted. Lost a couple week due to a slight accident. Was grinding inside the car with a 4" grinder, one of those 10,000 rpm jobs. The 8" grinding disk required the gaurd to be taken off so it would fit. Everything went well for about a half hour. Then the disk bound up in the groove I was cutting. It pull the grinder out of my hand and sanded the skin off my left thumb, then ran up my arm for a couple of inches. The trigger lock was on so now the grinder is bouncing off everyting it hits. Me and the grinder are playing tag now. Wanted out of the pontiac real bad, but it had me cornered it the coupe, after what seemed like hours, but only around 30 deconds it shut off and was I glad. So after healing up for a couple weeks am back at it. Got the frame painted Tangelo. Put the car back together to check everything and built new running boards.  Will prime and sand next week and paint the folling week. Will go to interior shop the first of may now.
TOM

enjenjo

Those grinders can be dangerous. I have an uncle with a scar right up the center of his face from one that got away from him. be careful!!!

The car is looking good by the way.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Kctom1"Was grinding inside the car with a 4" grinder, one of those 10,000 rpm jobs. The 8" grinding disk required the gaurd to be taken off so it would fit.  
TOM

You are lucky you still have your thumb  :shock:

coulda been a real disaster.  please be careful. you really don't want to meet a Paramedic in a professional sense.

sometimes we gotta do some painful, nasty things to you in order to help you.  besides skin grafts are'nt alotta fun either  :evil:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

32coupe

You know what..................there is a reason that they have a guard on them. :?

Been there...........done that :oops:

Accident rooms are full of guys like us, you should see the size of the file that they have on me :lol:

They were going to name a wing after me............but I got smarter with my power tools.............now I test them out on my kids first....not realy :oops:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

purplepickup

Thanks for the update Tom.  I really like that car and I know that with your skills and ideas it will be an awesome car when you're done.

I was grinding on the camping trailer I'm building the other day and had to take the guard off the grinder to get at some tight places.  I thought about how dangerous it could be and held on real tight.  That disc isn't very far from your hand.  We shouldn't do some of the stuff we do....should we? :roll:
George

30tudor

Scary situation told with a sense of humor.  Glad to hear all's well, Got Gloves?

Chassis and body work are all looking real good.  I'm confused easily and often but what's the deal with a 30 Pontiac vs a 30 Oakland?  I've got a cousin up in north Iowa with a couple of Oaklands that vintage and was under the impression that they were later brought into GM and called Pontiac.

Any history there?  Keep up the good work.

enjenjo

In the late 20's, GM created companion makes for most of their line. Buick got Marquette, Oldsmobile got Viking, Cadillac got LaSalle, and Oakland got Pontiac. In most cases they were a similar, but cheaper version of the established make. When the depression hit, GM started cutting lines, companion makes mostly, but Pontiac outsold Oakland so much, that they kept it, and killed Oakland. By 35 all of them were gone except La Salle, it it was dropped in 40

30tudor

Thanks for the info, I appreciate that.  I know that both of the cousins Oaklands are fully restored and comepletely operational.  One being a sedan and the other a coupe.

I recall the coupe having a small access door behind the passenger door yet ahead of the rear wheel.  Someplace for a 'gentleman' to store his golf clubs I reckon.

I also believe the sedan (also a 30) was a four cylinder and the coupe a V8.  If I'm not mistaken this was the first use of a V8 in a American car.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

enjenjo

Actually there were several American V8s before that. Lincolnin the early 20's, Cadillac, heck, even Chevy had one in 1912, and it was overhead valve too.

30tudor

An ohv Chevy V8 in 1912?  Wow!  I'm anxious to learn more about that one.  Guess I need to get down to the library and educate myself.

Thanks for all the info, you're a good man Gunga Din.  :>)

Dirk35

Wow, even with the crappie pixlated pictures, that is INCREDIBLY GOOD LOOKING!

You should be proud to show that.