Trans question

Started by jaybee, March 27, 2005, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

The good news is that I finally got some garage time this weekend for the first time in a couple of weeks.  Bad news, my son's '91 Lumina 3.1 MPI again monopolized that time.  Good news, an ignition module seems to have cleared up the hard starting & intermittent misfire problem (Once it finally threw a code so we knew where to look).

That's sufficient good news to get me to the next bad news: there's another, separate problem.  No wonder Ian has had trouble describing to me what's happening, it depends on the situation.  I haven't been able to get it to do the 'next' thing until today, but it fits his description and circumstances perfectly.  This afternoon he called me when he went out and it acted up.  I went to the car and brought it home.

At one point when I stopped at a stoplight it bucked and stalled EXACTLY like a manual trans if you forget to disengage the clutch.  When this whole thing got started someone warned me that the transaxles in these cars have a known issue with lockup torque converter switches that fail in this way.  Can anyone give me any additional information and direct me to the position of the switch on the trans?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Jokester

Unplug the lockup connector and see if the problem goes away.  I had a Buick that felt like it was misfiring.  Long story short, it was the converter locking and unlocking all of the time.  Unplugged it and the problem went away.

my 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Jokester

Sorry, missed part of your post.  On mine the plug was in the trans case just behind the block....right in the area of the flywheel.  It's front wheel drive, so the plug was on the driver's side of the car.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.