Buzz box welders

Started by tonto1, March 29, 2005, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Well, after 40 years, it appears my Craftsman 180 decided it has did enough welding.  No matter what amp setting I use it will barely strike an arc, then it won't maintain it.  I did the usual for me, took the cover off, cleaned the contacts, checked the voltages, checked for shorts as best I know how.  Friends tell me the transformer is probably bad, so I guess it's time to look for another one.
Anyone have any advice.  Since my welder sets more than my plane, which is a h--l  of a lot, it doesn't have to be an expensive one.
About all I need is around 200 amp AC, 220Volt. I guess having AC-DC might be better, but I've never used DC, so I don't know.

Harry :oops:
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

Mr Cool

One thing thats wrecks welders is iron filings etc from angle grinders and such.
These very small bits of metal are attracted to the coils in welders and eventually stuff them up.
Rule No1 - Keep grinders away from welders when using them, or cover your welder if you can.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Sean

Miller Thunderbolts are excellent and fairly small (about 80lbs) Buzzboxes. You can get them in AC or AC/DC, I think there is about $150 difference between the two.

We have a couple of the AC/DC versions at work that we use when we need a Buzzbox out in the field.

Sean

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tonto1"Well, after 40 years, it appears my Craftsman 180 decided it has did enough welding.  No matter what amp setting I use it will barely strike an arc, then it won't maintain it.  I did the usual for me, took the cover off, cleaned the contacts, checked the voltages, checked for shorts as best I know how.  Friends tell me the transformer is probably bad, so I guess it's time to look for another one.
Anyone have any advice.  Since my welder sets more than my plane, which is a h--l  of a lot, it doesn't have to be an expensive one.
About all I need is around 200 amp AC, 220Volt. I guess having AC-DC might be better, but I've never used DC, so I don't know.

Harry :oops:

Is there a reason you aren't looking at a mig?  Cost?  I would think with everyone going to migs/tigs you could pick up a used AC for almost nothing.  If something breaks on it throw it away.  I bought one from a school district in the 70's for about $70 and it welded a lot.  Still will, but I never use it with my mig.

If you are dealing with rusty metal, like farm equipment then the mig is no good for quick repairs.

I wish someone would by the Tig HF has had on sale for a little under $200 and see if it works at all.  I would like something that would weld thin aluminum.  If it did that I would be happy.  Even if it did it not so well.

c ya, Sum